How to Create a Linearly Polarized Electromagnetic Wave (Light) Source.

Collins Kariuki Computational Physics (Sustainability)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings,

I am a newcomer to COMSOL and I am seeking assistance in setting up a linearly polarized electromagnetic wave light source. To provide some context, my project involves developing a basic model with the objective of studying the reflectance and transmittance characteristics of different materials exhibiting distinct refractive indices. I intend to approach this investigation through the application of the Fresnel Equations. Currently, I have progressed to the stage of creating a cylindrical geometry representing a layer composed of Silica glass. However, I am encountering challenges in establishing the light source.

Any guidance or support would be greatly valued.

2 Replies Last Post 2023/11/03 14:18 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/10/27 14:46 GMT-4
Updated: 6 months ago 2023/10/27 14:47 GMT-4

Use the scattered field formulation and set the background field to Linearly Polarized Plane Wave. See attached screen shot.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Use the scattered field formulation and set the background field to Linearly Polarized Plane Wave. See attached screen shot.

Collins Kariuki Computational Physics (Sustainability)

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 14:18 GMT-4
Updated: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 14:16 GMT-4

Thank you! It works. If it's no bother, can you also consult on my other recent problem on meshing. The discussion post is titled, "Meshing Error" and you can probably find it by searching the title or my name (Collins Kariuki).

Thank you! It works. If it's no bother, can you also consult on my other recent problem on meshing. The discussion post is titled, "Meshing Error" and you can probably find it by searching the title or my name (Collins Kariuki).

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.