how to define the internal stress or compressible stress in a layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone, I hope you are doing fine. I just have quick question. I just want to define the inital interal stress in the layer in the solid mechnaics module. i calculated the internal stress in the layer is about 50 MPa after (deposition/oxidation). i need a quick answer that how i can define the internal stress in a layer at room temp. before starting the analysis. i hope i will get a suitable answer with many expert available on comsol platforum. have a good day. Regards

3 Replies Last Post 2023/11/06 20:07 GMT-5
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 11:36 GMT-4
Updated: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 11:36 GMT-4

Right-click the Linear Elastic Material node and select the Initial Stress and Strain sub-node.

If there are multiple materials in the problem you will need to create a new Linear Elastic Material node for the material that has the initial stress.

Right-click the Linear Elastic Material node and select the Initial Stress and Strain sub-node. If there are multiple materials in the problem you will need to create a new Linear Elastic Material node for the material that has the initial stress.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 11:44 GMT-4
Updated: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 11:44 GMT-4

Hello Usama,

I'll add to what Dave wrote that the "Initial Stress and Strain" functionality is a feature that is included in the following 5 optional products:

1. Acoustics Module
  2. MEMS Module
  3. Metal Processing Module
  4. Multibody Dynamics Module
  5. Structural Mechanics Module

so your license needs to carry at least one of those products for you to have access to that functionality. You can check what optional products are included on your license by going to File > Licensed and Used Products.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Usama, I'll add to what Dave wrote that the "Initial Stress and Strain" functionality is a feature that is included in the following 5 optional products: 1. Acoustics Module 2. MEMS Module 3. Metal Processing Module 4. Multibody Dynamics Module 5. Structural Mechanics Module so your license needs to carry at least one of those products for you to have access to that functionality. You can check what optional products are included on your license by going to File > Licensed and Used Products. Best, Jeff

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/11/06 20:07 GMT-5
Updated: 6 months ago 2023/11/06 20:13 GMT-5

Right-click the Linear Elastic Material node and select the Initial Stress and Strain sub-node.

If there are multiple materials in the problem you will need to create a new Linear Elastic Material node for the material that has the initial stress.

Thank you very much for your kind reply sir, my membrane is a 3D model. Actually we check the intial stress 50 MPa at room temperature with some experimental equipment. I subsititute initial stress 50 MPa in principal diagonal of the matrix in x,y,z directions. After the simulations i checked the initial stress at room temperarure (25 degree). it is showing 70 MPa at room temperature. I am applying the intial stress right? or the results are fine? Thanks again for your reply. Have a good day. regards

>Right-click the Linear Elastic Material node and select the Initial Stress and Strain sub-node. > >If there are multiple materials in the problem you will need to create a new Linear Elastic Material node for the material that has the initial stress. Thank you very much for your kind reply sir, my membrane is a 3D model. Actually we check the intial stress 50 MPa at room temperature with some experimental equipment. I subsititute initial stress 50 MPa in principal diagonal of the matrix in x,y,z directions. After the simulations i checked the initial stress at room temperarure (25 degree). it is showing 70 MPa at room temperature. I am applying the intial stress right? or the results are fine? Thanks again for your reply. Have a good day. regards

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.