Implementing a refractive index profile matrix into comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I want to do an mode analysis on a specific 2D structure. This 2D structure exists in the form of an refractive index profile-matrix, which has over 1000x1000 entries. This matrix has two values, one for each material used. If I would do a mesh plot in matlab with that matrix, I would get my refractive index profile.

Now the problem is, I am a greenhorn regarding comsol. Does someone know a method, how I could implement (or import) the matrix into comsol and use that matrix to build the geometry-profile?

I am using comsol 5.4.

2 Replies Last Post 2023/11/10 5:22 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 13:55 GMT-4
Updated: 6 months ago 2023/11/03 13:59 GMT-4

Hello Richard,

It sounds like you should use an Interpolation function. See the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (Sorry, I can't tell you the exact page because I don't have 5.4 installed, but use Ctrl+F and you should find it easily), or various threads in this Discussion Forum.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Richard, It sounds like you should use an Interpolation function. See the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (Sorry, I can't tell you the exact page because I don't have 5.4 installed, but use Ctrl+F and you should find it easily), or various threads in this Discussion Forum. Best, Jeff

Posted: 6 months ago 2023/11/10 5:22 GMT-5

Hello Richard,

It sounds like you should use an Interpolation function. See the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (Sorry, I can't tell you the exact page because I don't have 5.4 installed, but use Ctrl+F and you should find it easily), or various threads in this Discussion Forum.

Best,

Jeff Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for your answer. The Interpolation function was indeed what I was looking for. Still working on it, but I make progress. Have a nice day!

Regards, Richard

>Hello Richard, > >It sounds like you should use an Interpolation function. See the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (Sorry, I can't tell you the exact page because I don't have 5.4 installed, but use Ctrl+F and you should find it easily), or various threads in this Discussion Forum. > >Best, > >Jeff Dear Jeff, Thank you very much for your answer. The Interpolation function was indeed what I was looking for. Still working on it, but I make progress. Have a nice day! Regards, Richard

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.