2D Axisymmetric and 3D Model Differences - Metal Plate in Air Domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I am working to model an aluminum plate excited by an impulse excitation at its center and surrounded on top by an infinite air domain. I have successfully modeled this case using 2D Axisymmetric geometry, see attached file, and the simulated plate acceleration and air acoustic pressure at points defined in the model match experimental measurements. I am now trying to model this same setup using a 3-dimensional model and do not seem to get the same results as the 2D Axisymmetric model. I have placed an impulse excitation at the plate's center, and the plate seems to be vibrating symmetrically as expected. The acoustic pressure measurements in the air seem to arrive much earlier than they did in the 2D Axisymmetric model and look to be very different. I cannot figure out why. It also seems that the acoustic pressure measurements are not symmetric, measuring different at different points above the plate that are the same distance from the source. I have attached the 2D Axisymmetric file and the 3D file if that will help diagnose the problem. In these models I have table results for the data I am trying to match the simulation to. I appreiate your insight! Thank you in advance!

6 Replies Last Post 2023/12/20 3:06 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 months ago 2023/12/18 16:12 GMT-5

Hi Allison,

a few observations:

• the 3D mesh is much coarser than the 2D mesh. Are you still sampling the field at 6 elements per wavelength?

• there is no PML in the 3D model, this may explain deviations in the measured amplitudes due to reflections.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Allison, a few observations: - the 3D mesh is much coarser than the 2D mesh. Are you still sampling the field at 6 elements per wavelength? - there is no PML in the 3D model, this may explain deviations in the measured amplitudes due to reflections. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 12:37 GMT-5
Updated: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 12:21 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

Thank you so much for looking over my models! I really appreciate it!

You are correct that I have no PML in the 3D model. I removed it to make sure the PML was not the cause for the early wave arrival times in the air domain. I have since updated my geometry to add the PML back into the 3D model so that the 2D and 3D geometries will match.

I will look closer into the meshing. The 6 elements per wavelength that I used for the 2D model mesh seemed to work really well and give accurate results. I tried making the mesh for the 2D model more coarse, and found similar acoustic pressure trends to the 3D model, so it looks like the coarse mesh may be the cause of my problems. Do you have any tips for designing a 3D mesh that is fine enough to give accurate results, but won't weigh down the run time of the model too much?

Best, Allison

Hi Edgar, Thank you so much for looking over my models! I really appreciate it! You are correct that I have no PML in the 3D model. I removed it to make sure the PML was not the cause for the early wave arrival times in the air domain. I have since updated my geometry to add the PML back into the 3D model so that the 2D and 3D geometries will match. I will look closer into the meshing. The 6 elements per wavelength that I used for the 2D model mesh seemed to work really well and give accurate results. I tried making the mesh for the 2D model more coarse, and found similar acoustic pressure trends to the 3D model, so it looks like the coarse mesh may be the cause of my problems. Do you have any tips for designing a 3D mesh that is fine enough to give accurate results, but won't weigh down the run time of the model too much? Best, Allison

Posted: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 14:42 GMT-5

Hi Allison,

yes I know the pain. I am doing a lot of acoustics and there is no way around sufficient meshing. You can try to make the air space as small as possible and often I am using linear discretization instead of the default quadratic. That saves a lot of computational costs. Often the results are accurate enough. In case you can use frequency domain you could try the boundary element method, which avoids having to mesh the air domain, but needs 4th order discretization on the boundaries.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Allison, yes I know the pain. I am doing a lot of acoustics and there is no way around sufficient meshing. You can try to make the air space as small as possible and often I am using linear discretization instead of the default quadratic. That saves a lot of computational costs. Often the results are accurate enough. In case you can use frequency domain you could try the boundary element method, which avoids having to mesh the air domain, but needs 4th order discretization on the boundaries. Cheers Edgar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 15:56 GMT-5
Updated: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 17:21 GMT-5

One more idea: exploit any symmetries. I only took a quick look at your file but it gave me the impression of having planes of symmetry. Alas that approach will only work if you are not working your way towards a system with no symmetries - and I am guessing that is where you are headed.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
One more idea: exploit any symmetries. I only took a quick look at your file but it gave me the impression of having planes of symmetry. Alas that approach will only work if you are not working your way towards a system with no symmetries - and I am guessing that is where you are headed. Jeff

Posted: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 17:02 GMT-5
Updated: 4 months ago 2023/12/19 16:47 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

That is really helpful advice. I appreciate it. I am a student who just started learning Comsol, so I am not familiar with linear discretization as opposed to quadratic. I will look into that further as any chance of lowering computation costs while maintaining accuracy will be best. I am hoping to stay in the time domain as I want to limit how many plate edge reflections are included in my solution, so I am not sure the frequency domain will work for this particular simulation, but I will keep it in mind for future simulations!

• Allison

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate your advice as well. I am working with a symmetric model to ensure everything is working correctly in the simulation, then will be moving away from a system with symmetries. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to exploit any symmetries as I will be moving the source and sensors to no longer by symmetric in any direction. For troubleshooting, I will try and exploit some of my symmetries to make sure my 3D model has a fine enough mesh to give accurate results.

• Allison
Hi Edgar, That is really helpful advice. I appreciate it. I am a student who just started learning Comsol, so I am not familiar with linear discretization as opposed to quadratic. I will look into that further as any chance of lowering computation costs while maintaining accuracy will be best. I am hoping to stay in the time domain as I want to limit how many plate edge reflections are included in my solution, so I am not sure the frequency domain will work for this particular simulation, but I will keep it in mind for future simulations! - Allison Hi Jeff, I appreciate your advice as well. I am working with a symmetric model to ensure everything is working correctly in the simulation, then will be moving away from a system with symmetries. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to exploit any symmetries as I will be moving the source and sensors to no longer by symmetric in any direction. For troubleshooting, I will try and exploit some of my symmetries to make sure my 3D model has a fine enough mesh to give accurate results. - Allison

Posted: 4 months ago 2023/12/20 3:06 GMT-5

Hi Allison,

you have a good strategy. From the simple to the complex and continuous verification. That is how it should be done.

Good luck Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Allison, you have a good strategy. From the simple to the complex and continuous verification. That is how it should be done. Good luck Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.