Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error out of memory

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have to solve a problem with a small step time in order to minimize the error of calcul, but i have always an error with my computer.
out of tempory memory

How can i rise up this limit?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies Last Post 2011/05/10 15:12 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/02/20 10:47 GMT-5
Hi

I'm not sure what "temporary memory" is exactly, but when I get the "out of memory" error, I try in the server / client mode (see the insall.pdf guide), this usually gives me 20-30% more available RAM as the pre-post-processor is easier swapped out, I also stop all unecesary OS pogrammes and services as for me on my MS Vista up to 70% of my 2Gb of RAM is used by all this (for nothing). I agree the main part of these programmes will be swapped, but still quite important parts remain in RAM, and there are dozen of these unecessary nice_to_have_and_to_gain_2_sec_at_startup services and launchers hanging around there.

If you are in UX the issue is often different as mostly you are more regardant and do not launch by default everything.

Then as a last resort (before buxying a 64bit processors and multiGB RAM), you could try to play with the memory variables in the comsol.ini (save the default one before you mess up too much)

If still your are out of RAM, then there are all the tweaking of the solvers, but there I do not have any clear indication exactly what to propose for each case, probably you should try to divide up your model, in some way.

Good luck
Ivar

Hi I'm not sure what "temporary memory" is exactly, but when I get the "out of memory" error, I try in the server / client mode (see the insall.pdf guide), this usually gives me 20-30% more available RAM as the pre-post-processor is easier swapped out, I also stop all unecesary OS pogrammes and services as for me on my MS Vista up to 70% of my 2Gb of RAM is used by all this (for nothing). I agree the main part of these programmes will be swapped, but still quite important parts remain in RAM, and there are dozen of these unecessary nice_to_have_and_to_gain_2_sec_at_startup services and launchers hanging around there. If you are in UX the issue is often different as mostly you are more regardant and do not launch by default everything. Then as a last resort (before buxying a 64bit processors and multiGB RAM), you could try to play with the memory variables in the comsol.ini (save the default one before you mess up too much) If still your are out of RAM, then there are all the tweaking of the solvers, but there I do not have any clear indication exactly what to propose for each case, probably you should try to divide up your model, in some way. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/05/10 15:12 GMT-4
Is there any ways to use hard disk memory while solving a 3D problem in 4.1?
Is there any ways to use hard disk memory while solving a 3D problem in 4.1?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.