How to convert 3D cloud of points into a boundary of a solid to be used to solve the Coefficient Form PDE

Małgorzata Jankowska

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All.

I have a following problem. I have a cloud of points in a format x y z in each row of the text file.

This cloud of points represents a 3D boundary of some soild. I have to read the points, treat them as a boundary of a solid, probably convert to a solid. Then, I have to compute some BVP using: Coefficient Form PDE. My cloud of points represents a 3D boudary.

I have read the post availabe at: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-convert-point-cloud-data-to-surfaces-and-solids/ but my my situation it does not help.

I will be very grateful for your help. With best regards, Malgorzata

4 Replies Last Post 2024/02/26 17:06 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 months ago 2024/02/26 10:36 GMT-5
Updated: 2 months ago 2024/02/26 10:36 GMT-5

Hello Malgorzata,

Can you expand on why the blog post does not help in your case?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Malgorzata, Can you expand on why the blog post does not help in your case? Jeff

Małgorzata Jankowska

Posted: 2 months ago 2024/02/26 16:24 GMT-5

Dear Jeff.

Thank you very much for your quick answer. The post seems to help in a little bit different case, i.e. when we have a cloud of points that form an open surface. In my case a cloud of points looks like a kind of irregular sphere (see the picture enclosed). I tried to change some options in Comsol, but the result seems to be like a surface, not like a 3D boundary. However, you know Comsol much better.

With best regards, Malgorzata

Dear Jeff. Thank you very much for your quick answer. The post seems to help in a little bit different case, i.e. when we have a cloud of points that form an open surface. In my case a cloud of points looks like a kind of irregular sphere (see the picture enclosed). I tried to change some options in Comsol, but the result seems to be like a surface, not like a 3D boundary. However, you know Comsol much better. With best regards, Malgorzata

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 months ago 2024/02/26 16:39 GMT-5
Updated: 2 months ago 2024/02/26 16:39 GMT-5

Why not split the data into several patches that add up to the full surface?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Why not split the data into several patches that add up to the full surface? Jeff

Małgorzata Jankowska

Posted: 2 months ago 2024/02/26 17:06 GMT-5

Dear Jeff. I am afraid this boundary is rather irregular. The points are generated with some algorithm proposed by my colleague. I am not convinced how to split the data into several patches and if it is even possible. With best regards, Malgorzata

Dear Jeff. I am afraid this boundary is rather irregular. The points are generated with some algorithm proposed by my colleague. I am not convinced how to split the data into several patches and if it is even possible. With best regards, Malgorzata

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.