What to set for "show equations assuming"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

when doing topology optimization, if I have multiple studies ahead, where study5 is designed for Topology Optimization, for this part Density model -> equation - > show equations assuming should I leave it as None or Choose the study5.

Attached is a picture to clarify.

Honestly, I don't actually understand what does the part show equations assuming mean

2 Replies Last Post 2024/03/18 5:16 GMT-4
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/18 4:32 GMT-4
Updated: 1 month ago 2024/03/18 8:35 GMT-4

Different setups may leave certain equations looking different, but in this case, I don't think you will see any difference between studies. In general Show Equations Assuming is exactly that; show me what these equations will look like for a particular study.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
Different setups may leave certain equations looking different, but in this case, I don't think you will see any difference between studies. In general Show Equations Assuming is exactly that; show me what these equations will look like for a particular study.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/18 5:16 GMT-4

Hi Haiyang,

The None option for the Show equation assuming list is a fallback that corresponds to the situation where no study is selected. It only exists for optimization och other features that are not physics features.

As René has already mentioned, what to select from this list only affects the displayed equations in the Settings window to show you what equation the chosen study will solve. It does not affect the computed solution in any way.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Haiyang, The **None** option for the **Show equation assuming list** is a fallback that corresponds to the situation where no study is selected. It only exists for optimization och other features that are not physics features. As René has already mentioned, what to select from this list only affects the displayed equations in the **Settings** window to show you what equation the chosen study will solve. It does not affect the computed solution in any way. Best regards, Magnus

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.