Induction heating: why is Total heat source term equal to 2 times the Volumetric loss density?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model the induction heating of an eletrically-conductive part subjected to an alternative magnetic field. The coupling between magnetic fields and heat transfer in solides interfaces in done with a Electromagnetic heating multiphysics coupling. Therefore, in the Heat source node, I selected "Volumetric loss density, eletromagnetic" as the general heat source. There is no other heat source, only thermal losses by convection and radiation on the boundaries of my sample. I noticed that when I plot the "Volumetric loss density, eletromagnetic" and the "Total heat source" in my sample, they are not the same, when they should be in my understanding. More surprisingly, they are not "just" different, there is exaclty a ratio of 2 between them. I attached my model so you can see by yourself.

Can anyone explain to me where this factor 2 comes from? I can't find it in the equations.

Thank you for your help!

2 Replies Last Post 2024/03/20 12:31 GMT-4
Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/20 11:56 GMT-4

Hi,

The problem here is that the Electromagnetic Heating 1 multiphysics coupling is already adding all necessary heat sources in Heat Transfer in Solids and temperature feedback to Magnetic Fields. You have actively and unnecessarily added Heat Source 1 which effectively doubles the coupled power. Delete/disable Heat Source 1 and the problem will be gone.

Best regards,

-------------------
Magnus
Hi, The problem here is that the Electromagnetic Heating 1 multiphysics coupling is already adding all necessary heat sources in Heat Transfer in Solids and temperature feedback to Magnetic Fields. You have actively and unnecessarily added Heat Source 1 which effectively doubles the coupled power. Delete/disable Heat Source 1 and the problem will be gone. Best regards,

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/20 12:31 GMT-4
Updated: 1 month ago 2024/03/20 12:31 GMT-4

Thank you very much for your answer!

Best regards,

Romain

Thank you very much for your answer! Best regards, Romain

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.