Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

calculate the radius of curvature in 2D model

Tesfaye Tadesse Molla

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleaugues,

I was looking for ways of calculating the radius of curvature of a deforming boundary in 2D model (in time dependent solid mechanics module).

i tried to use the equations derived for two fucntions of time i.e. u = u(t) and v=v(t) ,

Rad of curv = ((ut^2+vt^2)^1.5 )/(ut*vtt +vt*utt)

but this equation give me very noisy values which are bad for my solver. do u have any other suggestion to deal with this kind of problem?

Thanking you in advance

1 Reply Last Post 2012/12/21 9:56 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/12/21 9:56 GMT-5
Hi

the noise comes from your higher order derivatives, try increasing the discretization order by "1", and use fine time steps.
Anyhow this has been discussed a few times on the Forum the last 2-3 years, so if you search you should find back the explanations on how to ;), I do not remember like that

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the noise comes from your higher order derivatives, try increasing the discretization order by "1", and use fine time steps. Anyhow this has been discussed a few times on the Forum the last 2-3 years, so if you search you should find back the explanations on how to ;), I do not remember like that -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.