Complex 2D geometry from rigid and elastic beams with hinges in multibody dynamics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to set up a 2D system of maybe more than 100 individual beams, some of them rigid some of them elastic. The indidivual beams should be interconnected by hinges. And some simple load cases are to be studied. I am creating the geometry with lines as beams and also everything else in matlab.

The problem is, to keep track which parts of the geometry are supposed to be rigid and which are elastic. If I only create one geometry, It is quite hard to track later which edge number belongs to which kind of beam as the sequence of edge numbers of the assembly is not connected to the geometry parts. Same for the vertices. If I create multiple geometries, the coupling in the multibody dynamics does not seem to work (I get a random Java error when trying to run a simulation). In the GUI I'm not even able to create multiple geometries.

Is there any way of setting up a simulation like this and keep an overview? I'm just not sure how to divide the different kinds of beams and also if I can bundle several beams in one physics beam part.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.