Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structural Mechanics Equation System

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to understand how my structural mechanics model is computing its solution. The model solves and gives me a reasonable solution. However, I don't understand how it is arriving at its answer. I am looking at the Subdomain Settings - Equation System panel where it shows the PDE which it is solving. I am viewing it in coefficient form, and all of the coefficients are set to zero. How am I arriving at a solution when the PDE which is being solved is zero?

Ryan

9 Replies Last Post 2013/03/08 12:11 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/22 0:09 GMT-5
you can find the answer in this ppt: alphard.ethz.ch/Hafner/Workshop/ComsolContact2009.pdf
you can find the answer in this ppt: http://alphard.ethz.ch/Hafner/Workshop/ComsolContact2009.pdf

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/22 2:13 GMT-5
Hi,

The structural mechanics equations are implemented using the so-called weak PDE formulation. In version 3.5a, click the Weak tab in the Subdomain Settings - Equation System dialog box to see the equations that COMSOL solves.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, The structural mechanics equations are implemented using the so-called weak PDE formulation. In version 3.5a, click the Weak tab in the Subdomain Settings - Equation System dialog box to see the equations that COMSOL solves. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/26 19:21 GMT-5
I can see the weak terms and time dependent weak terms in my subdomain settings - equation system window. However, I don't understand how these fit into equations which are solved for displacement (u).

More generally, I am trying to understand how COMSOL is solving my problem. Here is what I see:

In the weak terms window:
thickness_smps*(-ex_smps_test*sx_smps-ey_smps_test*sy_smps-2*exy_smps_test*sxy_smps)
I don't really understand the physical meaning of this term, other than that it contains stresses and strains.

In the dweak terms window:
rho_smps*thickness_smps*(u_test*utt+v_test*vtt)
This looks like Newton's second law, which I would expect for a structural mechanics problem.

How are these terms assembled into an equation which is solved for displacement? And where is the force term? I have no body force defined, but I do have contact pairs.
I can see the weak terms and time dependent weak terms in my subdomain settings - equation system window. However, I don't understand how these fit into equations which are solved for displacement (u). More generally, I am trying to understand how COMSOL is solving my problem. Here is what I see: In the weak terms window: thickness_smps*(-ex_smps_test*sx_smps-ey_smps_test*sy_smps-2*exy_smps_test*sxy_smps) I don't really understand the physical meaning of this term, other than that it contains stresses and strains. In the dweak terms window: rho_smps*thickness_smps*(u_test*utt+v_test*vtt) This looks like Newton's second law, which I would expect for a structural mechanics problem. How are these terms assembled into an equation which is solved for displacement? And where is the force term? I have no body force defined, but I do have contact pairs.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/27 5:18 GMT-5
Hi

probably what confuses you (and what gave me problems in the beginning) is to understand all the steps COMSOL has taken before reducing the equations to the one above, and also, more important the implicit integrations from COMSOL's way of presenting the data.

From what I have learned (I'm not COMSOL;)
1) the full equations are reduced and simplified analytically, as your input fields might be =0, =1, scalars, functions or even fields of type f(x,y,z,t), which mean that several terms might be dropped, or simplified, or taken out of the integration path
2) the eqautions are per elementary volume "dx*dy*dz" (in your case the integration over dz reduces to the" thickness" as I assume your are in 2D) so you need to imagine these expressions are integrate them over the relevant Domains
3) all expressions are remade such that the final integration are expressed as =0 (for the right term, hence some signs +/- that are not always as first expeced)
3) the weak form expression is established, (this has also implication on the units, test functions might have units too)
4) these equations shown are to be integrated, and then equated to "0"
5) also given constant terms are dropped, if possible before the integration

so the first expression you state is the remaining stess times strain product, while the second is mainly Newton law showing up in the energy conservation expression. But as these expressions are to be integrated, they have units units of densities (per m^3) or fluxes (per m^2) casted into the correct dimensions.
Note COMSOL always consider 3D even when you decide to go for 1D, then everything is expresse as "per m^2" so when you express a variable along a path and integrate over ds, COMSOL adds internally the section A[m^2] that ou have defined in the main node

Hope this helps, COMSOL proposes in their "book" chapter (more in the doc too) a few good math books that also talks about the weak form (i.e Edsberg, or Pepper or Baker's books)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi probably what confuses you (and what gave me problems in the beginning) is to understand all the steps COMSOL has taken before reducing the equations to the one above, and also, more important the implicit integrations from COMSOL's way of presenting the data. From what I have learned (I'm not COMSOL;) 1) the full equations are reduced and simplified analytically, as your input fields might be =0, =1, scalars, functions or even fields of type f(x,y,z,t), which mean that several terms might be dropped, or simplified, or taken out of the integration path 2) the eqautions are per elementary volume "dx*dy*dz" (in your case the integration over dz reduces to the" thickness" as I assume your are in 2D) so you need to imagine these expressions are integrate them over the relevant Domains 3) all expressions are remade such that the final integration are expressed as =0 (for the right term, hence some signs +/- that are not always as first expeced) 3) the weak form expression is established, (this has also implication on the units, test functions might have units too) 4) these equations shown are to be integrated, and then equated to "0" 5) also given constant terms are dropped, if possible before the integration so the first expression you state is the remaining stess times strain product, while the second is mainly Newton law showing up in the energy conservation expression. But as these expressions are to be integrated, they have units units of densities (per m^3) or fluxes (per m^2) casted into the correct dimensions. Note COMSOL always consider 3D even when you decide to go for 1D, then everything is expresse as "per m^2" so when you express a variable along a path and integrate over ds, COMSOL adds internally the section A[m^2] that ou have defined in the main node Hope this helps, COMSOL proposes in their "book" chapter (more in the doc too) a few good math books that also talks about the weak form (i.e Edsberg, or Pepper or Baker's books) -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/28 11:50 GMT-5
All of the terms in the weak expression should be defined as variables so you can check for example how a term like “sx_smps” relates to displacements and material constants. The equations provide a “standard” solid mechanics weak form which is well explained in many FE text books. There is a good explanation of the weak form in the COMSOL manuals too but in its general form (not specific to solid mechanics).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
All of the terms in the weak expression should be defined as variables so you can check for example how a term like “sx_smps” relates to displacements and material constants. The equations provide a “standard” solid mechanics weak form which is well explained in many FE text books. There is a good explanation of the weak form in the COMSOL manuals too but in its general form (not specific to solid mechanics). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/28 20:16 GMT-5
Thanks to everyone for your help! This is starting to make some sense. I don't know what I would do without the forum.

Ryan
Thanks to everyone for your help! This is starting to make some sense. I don't know what I would do without the forum. Ryan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/02/03 18:57 GMT-5
Just to close on this thought, is the following equation the one which COMSOL solves for displacement in a transient structural mechanics problem?

Of course, this is the equation in the general form, before COMSOL converts it to the weak form to solve... correct?
Just to close on this thought, is the following equation the one which COMSOL solves for displacement in a transient structural mechanics problem? [math] \rho \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} -\nabla \cdot (c\nabla \boldsymbol{u}) = \boldsymbol{F}[/math] Of course, this is the equation in the general form, before COMSOL converts it to the weak form to solve... correct?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/02/04 1:45 GMT-5
Hi

Almost, it's the development of Sigma, the stress tensor, that might vary depending on the material property you are choosing (and or including geometrical non-linearities). Check the doc and the latest literature (i.e. Tadmor & Miller Modelling Materials I&II)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Almost, it's the development of Sigma, the stress tensor, that might vary depending on the material property you are choosing (and or including geometrical non-linearities). Check the doc and the latest literature (i.e. Tadmor & Miller Modelling Materials I&II) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/03/08 12:11 GMT-5
Ivar,

Could you elaborate on this topic? Do you mean the stress tensor will change because it contains the Elastic modulus value for your material? Also, going through the derivation of the equation above in the doc, it looks like "c" is the elastic modulus. Is this true?

Thanks.

Ryan
Ivar, Could you elaborate on this topic? Do you mean the stress tensor will change because it contains the Elastic modulus value for your material? Also, going through the derivation of the equation above in the doc, it looks like "c" is the elastic modulus. Is this true? Thanks. Ryan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.