Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to find a solution. The relative error (35) is greater than the relative tolerance. Returned solution is not converged

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi, im writing this mail because im stuck with my thesis simulation. this happened when i change the value of the electrical conductivity for silicon. i change for 1.6 e-3 s/m instead 1e-12 that had before ( the simulation works with this parameter).

i dont have any idea what can be wrong because the real parameter is 1.6e-3 s/m and the error that comsol is telling me each time i run the simulation is Failed to find a solution.
The relative error (46) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.

another doubt is that i need to obtain the voltage on the perpendicular contacts. i put the boundaries like floating potential and i did a graph using thedifference of both contacts but i would make sure if im doing right.

i really appreciate any help to solve this problem

thanks

1 Reply Last Post 2013/03/09 4:27 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/03/09 4:27 GMT-5
Hi

I would suspect some numerical issues due to the large difference in the number, are you in MF, MEF ... or ?
and what are the other materials around ?

If you are in MEF, you could perhaps add a domain to be solved without "V" and perhaps drop the conductivity (if you have other meterial highly conductive in there.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would suspect some numerical issues due to the large difference in the number, are you in MF, MEF ... or ? and what are the other materials around ? If you are in MEF, you could perhaps add a domain to be solved without "V" and perhaps drop the conductivity (if you have other meterial highly conductive in there. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.