Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh transfer to comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have generated FEM mesh in solidworks/Cosmos works. How can I transfer it to COMSOL. I tried to save it as vrml but the import in comsol looks garbage. I also tried stl. It is creating individual component mesh file.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Susant

3 Replies Last Post 2010/04/30 1:50 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/29 19:36 GMT-4
Hi

I have only managed to import Nastran Neutral files, as mesh cases, but I'm not sure COSMOS can generate this format (but what's wrong with a Comsol mesh ? from an Solidworks imported file)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I have only managed to import Nastran Neutral files, as mesh cases, but I'm not sure COSMOS can generate this format (but what's wrong with a Comsol mesh ? from an Solidworks imported file) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/29 20:26 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

My problem is that the default tetrahedral mesh it creates is too much for my computer memory (4gig ram). The error is insufficient memory for LU decomposition. I have tried and failed to create brick and other elements to reduce number of elements without resorting to coarse/extra coarse mesh. Solidworks as well as Ansys seems to create nice mech with fewer brick elements.

Regards,
Susant
Hi Ivar, My problem is that the default tetrahedral mesh it creates is too much for my computer memory (4gig ram). The error is insufficient memory for LU decomposition. I have tried and failed to create brick and other elements to reduce number of elements without resorting to coarse/extra coarse mesh. Solidworks as well as Ansys seems to create nice mech with fewer brick elements. Regards, Susant

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/30 1:50 GMT-4
Hi

"tets" are the smallest ones, in the worst case you could try linear elements, take a look at

www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/875/

But I doubt that linear elements would help for the meshing.

Then you have only the approach of simplifying your model, using symmetry and or trying to adapt it to 2D

You know 30 years ago the ones from the east did as good if not better than the westerns with their supercomputers, because, not having that advanced CPU power they used their head and reduced analytically their problems to make them resolvable by hand or with their scarse CPU power, so I would say, take the good things from each side, try it out ;)

Good luck
Ivar
Hi "tets" are the smallest ones, in the worst case you could try linear elements, take a look at http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/875/ But I doubt that linear elements would help for the meshing. Then you have only the approach of simplifying your model, using symmetry and or trying to adapt it to 2D You know 30 years ago the ones from the east did as good if not better than the westerns with their supercomputers, because, not having that advanced CPU power they used their head and reduced analytically their problems to make them resolvable by hand or with their scarse CPU power, so I would say, take the good things from each side, try it out ;) Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.