Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid and Structure overlap

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I built this model to simulate fluid flow with one inlet and two outlets, and a structure which can be moved to close off one of the two outlets. I do not know how to define subdomain "2" and set it's boundary conditions for Moving Mesh, Plane Strain, or Incompressible Navier Stokes, to simulate a solid domain over a liquid domain. In the current drawing, the solid structure is shutting off the top fluid outlet. I want to have the freedom to move the structure to close the lower outlet and redirect the fluid to the top outlet.

Once I know how to define subdomain 2, I am also wondering how to simulate a downward moving force on the solid structure at point 3 to close off the lower outlet and redirect the fluid to the upper outlet.

Thanks so much for your help!!

2 Replies Last Post 2010/05/12 17:55 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/12 2:38 GMT-4
Hi Lisa,

Your approach of actual moving solid can be really tricky to model with ALE Finite element, if at all possible.

Other approach that you can safely use is to have the region of the solid filled with very high viscous fluid, which means practically no fliud can pass.

There is a very nice example in the modeling gallery. Look for Fluid Dynamics Models -> Fluid Valve.

Hi Lisa, Your approach of actual moving solid can be really tricky to model with ALE Finite element, if at all possible. Other approach that you can safely use is to have the region of the solid filled with very high viscous fluid, which means practically no fliud can pass. There is a very nice example in the modeling gallery. Look for Fluid Dynamics Models -> Fluid Valve.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/12 17:55 GMT-4
Thank you very much for your help. So is there absolutely no way to model a solid over a liquid in COMSOL?
Thank you very much for your help. So is there absolutely no way to model a solid over a liquid in COMSOL?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.