Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

creating mesh for 3D from 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have an array of circles in 2D axial . ( say 5*5). I want to know whether it is possible to create a mesh for this array in 2D axial mode and then export it in to 3D. My objective is to cut down the number of mesh elements. If somebody could answer my problem It would be great for me. Thank you

Manjula

2 Replies Last Post 2010/05/13 11:10 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/13 10:56 GMT-4
Hi

you have the ppossibility to mesh a shape in 2D (or 2D axi) and then extrude or rovolve it "automatically" to a 3D "Geom". There are some restriction in 2D axi if your axis is part of the 2D object, then you are limited to quad elements (along the axis).

Now I connot remember if you can do this for many shapes or just one in a given model, try it out

It's similar to building 3D objects, but that is the geometry, here we re talking about meshing to generate 3D mesh from a 2D case

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi you have the ppossibility to mesh a shape in 2D (or 2D axi) and then extrude or rovolve it "automatically" to a 3D "Geom". There are some restriction in 2D axi if your axis is part of the 2D object, then you are limited to quad elements (along the axis). Now I connot remember if you can do this for many shapes or just one in a given model, try it out It's similar to building 3D objects, but that is the geometry, here we re talking about meshing to generate 3D mesh from a 2D case Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/13 11:10 GMT-4
Dear Ivar,

Thank you very much for the qiuck reply. I will try it out. Thanks again.

Manjula
Dear Ivar, Thank you very much for the qiuck reply. I will try it out. Thanks again. Manjula

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.