Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set continuity when using assembly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Ivar,
Thanks for your reply, I am using V3.5.

Hi, I am trying to solve a 3D Planar transformer problem, when I use it as a composite structure,
the coils are showing continuity in the boundary settings, but i am facing problem during meshing,
So I changed to Assembly mode, but here continuity of the coil is not there, can anyone please suggest
how to set all the coil boundary to continuity or another equivalent to continuity.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 2010/06/05 8:06 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/05 8:06 GMT-4
Hi

well normally I do not understand why you can mesh so much better in assembly, I always manage to mesh without the assembly (almost always;), but indeed sometimes you must help manually by selecting item after item and start in the centre to go outwards, sometimes too to adapt the mesh density for the different parts, not to say defeature small items.

Also: sometimes, if you switch to assembly _after you have set up your model_, COMSOL is not able to define all continuity pairs by itself, and you must do it manually.
In those cases I restart my model from scratch (you can copy the geometrical parts into the new COMSOl, and even start 2 parallel sessions to speed up the process), then create the assembly BEFORE defining the physics. Then normally COMSOL receates all required identitiy pairs and it works often better ther eafter. normally the copy past in the model tree, to take BC properties etc also works

Hope this helps
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi well normally I do not understand why you can mesh so much better in assembly, I always manage to mesh without the assembly (almost always;), but indeed sometimes you must help manually by selecting item after item and start in the centre to go outwards, sometimes too to adapt the mesh density for the different parts, not to say defeature small items. Also: sometimes, if you switch to assembly _after you have set up your model_, COMSOL is not able to define all continuity pairs by itself, and you must do it manually. In those cases I restart my model from scratch (you can copy the geometrical parts into the new COMSOl, and even start 2 parallel sessions to speed up the process), then create the assembly BEFORE defining the physics. Then normally COMSOL receates all required identitiy pairs and it works often better ther eafter. normally the copy past in the model tree, to take BC properties etc also works Hope this helps Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.