Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary integration in mechanics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm wondering why in boundary integration with "predifined quantities" = "displecement" I have "Unit of integral" = "m^3" ?!?
As I understand it should be "m".

I tried to apply prescribed displacemebt on my sample and than I verified this displacemet using boundary integration... and I didn't get the same displacement...

Please tell me how this boundary integration works and why I have there "m^3"

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

4 Replies Last Post 2010/06/21 13:04 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/12 5:21 GMT-4
Hi

an integration

int(f(x,y))*dx*dy)

results in the product of the units of f(x,y), dx and dy (but in COMSOL the dx*dy are implicit, not shown, but still there)

as if dx[m], dy[m] and f(x,y)[m] you end up with [m^3].

if you are looking for the "average" then you must divide the results by the volume/surface/length (3D,2D,1D respectively) and you find back your units of f() (these are the integration of the value "1" one)

There are some exception though, not fully clear why
- in V3.5 the integration coupling variables do not port their units to the results, ending in "red" flags,
- in V4 if you ask for int(1)*dxdy its result is given without units, but it should in my view have the units of a surface or [m^2], this might results in some "red flags too" for the unit conversions later on

Hope I answered your question
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi an integration int(f(x,y))*dx*dy) results in the product of the units of f(x,y), dx and dy (but in COMSOL the dx*dy are implicit, not shown, but still there) as if dx[m], dy[m] and f(x,y)[m] you end up with [m^3]. if you are looking for the "average" then you must divide the results by the volume/surface/length (3D,2D,1D respectively) and you find back your units of f() (these are the integration of the value "1" one) There are some exception though, not fully clear why - in V3.5 the integration coupling variables do not port their units to the results, ending in "red" flags, - in V4 if you ask for int(1)*dxdy its result is given without units, but it should in my view have the units of a surface or [m^2], this might results in some "red flags too" for the unit conversions later on Hope I answered your question Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/21 7:16 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

ok, but how about "reaction force" in boundary integration then?

Unit of integral in this case is [N] and not [N*m^2] so I'm confused..

If I need value of total reaction force wich is acting on my boundary... should I divide the results by the volume/surface/length or not???

Best regards,
Alex
Hi Ivar, ok, but how about "reaction force" in boundary integration then? Unit of integral in this case is [N] and not [N*m^2] so I'm confused.. If I need value of total reaction force wich is acting on my boundary... should I divide the results by the volume/surface/length or not??? Best regards, Alex

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/21 7:53 GMT-4
Hi,

in order to obtain a force you integrate the pressure across your boundary.

Regards
Edgar
Hi, in order to obtain a force you integrate the pressure across your boundary. Regards Edgar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/21 13:04 GMT-4
Hi

You should check the different items/vaiables, some are global (integration aleady done) and some need to be integrated over the length/surface ...

That's when I find the units useful (apart that in V3.5 the integration coupling variables do not pass the units, and in V4 there are still a few cases not passing the variables correctly, these are to be fixed on next release have I been told)

So if you end up with a N*m^2 as result, then you need to divide by a Area=int(1) over the boundary, and in fact you want the average and not the integration ("aveop#()" operator in V4)

Hope this helps
Ivar
Hi You should check the different items/vaiables, some are global (integration aleady done) and some need to be integrated over the length/surface ... That's when I find the units useful (apart that in V3.5 the integration coupling variables do not pass the units, and in V4 there are still a few cases not passing the variables correctly, these are to be fixed on next release have I been told) So if you end up with a N*m^2 as result, then you need to divide by a Area=int(1) over the boundary, and in fact you want the average and not the integration ("aveop#()" operator in V4) Hope this helps Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.