Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation recovery?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I was wondering if any recovery mode is possible when the current simulation is accidentaly shutdown, for example when Windows decides to make a reboot of the computer after two weeks and a half of simulation... or when the NX server closes the active Linux session because of a connection problem...

I saw that a .tmp file is present in the working directory, is there anything to do with it?

thanks a lot.

for information:
COMSOL: v 3.5

--
Vanessa

7 Replies Last Post 2010/06/25 9:02 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/24 15:21 GMT-4
Hi Vanessa,

AFAIK no way to recover it. I have been a victim of this so many times.
Hi Vanessa, AFAIK no way to recover it. I have been a victim of this so many times.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/25 2:56 GMT-4
Hi

A agree for the run that is aborted, it's lost, but an NX connectiont hat is disconnected (due to human or network problems), then you can reconnect. However, it's a NX connection that is aborted or crashed, that also crashes the jobs attached and that is like a window job crash, results and data are lost, unfortunately.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi A agree for the run that is aborted, it's lost, but an NX connectiont hat is disconnected (due to human or network problems), then you can reconnect. However, it's a NX connection that is aborted or crashed, that also crashes the jobs attached and that is like a window job crash, results and data are lost, unfortunately. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/25 5:04 GMT-4
Hi,

So I assume that I have to fix my NX problems, and gently ask Windows not to reboot without my agreement...

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

--
Vanessa
Hi, So I assume that I have to fix my NX problems, and gently ask Windows not to reboot without my agreement... Thanks a lot for your fast reply. -- Vanessa

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/25 5:28 GMT-4
Well, as long as you do not specifically terminate the connection (when connection is lost) then there is no problem. Say, your internet is disconnected (or your machine is rebooted), then your server (at the institute) will not terminate your NX session by itself, and you can reconnect. So, if it asks you that my connection is lost should I terminate say No. Nevertheless, I have Mac so I can not for sure say that this is the case with Windows as well.
Well, as long as you do not specifically terminate the connection (when connection is lost) then there is no problem. Say, your internet is disconnected (or your machine is rebooted), then your server (at the institute) will not terminate your NX session by itself, and you can reconnect. So, if it asks you that my connection is lost should I terminate say No. Nevertheless, I have Mac so I can not for sure say that this is the case with Windows as well.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/25 5:42 GMT-4
Hi
and you have Windows update that forces reboots, when set in automatic mode. It happeneed for me two days ago, I could not understand why my WS had rebooted to LINUX suddenly. But when I turned it back to Windows again, it finished it's update so the culprit was easy to spot. It menas one have to carefully control when and who is deciding when to update for number-cruncher-works-stations ;)
Ivar
Hi and you have Windows update that forces reboots, when set in automatic mode. It happeneed for me two days ago, I could not understand why my WS had rebooted to LINUX suddenly. But when I turned it back to Windows again, it finished it's update so the culprit was easy to spot. It menas one have to carefully control when and who is deciding when to update for number-cruncher-works-stations ;) Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/25 7:15 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes I am aware of that, but sometimes I face a "connection shutdown" error while reconnecting to the server, and when I try to reconnect again, the session has been ended and so do the open applications.

For Windows, they REALLY have to change this default setting that automatically reboots the computer.... Almost everybody has faced a problem with that.

--
Vanessa
Hi, Yes I am aware of that, but sometimes I face a "connection shutdown" error while reconnecting to the server, and when I try to reconnect again, the session has been ended and so do the open applications. For Windows, they REALLY have to change this default setting that automatically reboots the computer.... Almost everybody has faced a problem with that. -- Vanessa

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/25 9:02 GMT-4
Hi

set up your windows update to do on demand updates, and trigger them by your own (but do not forget to though ...)

Ivar
Hi set up your windows update to do on demand updates, and trigger them by your own (but do not forget to though ...) Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.