Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

porous media

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi

i'm struggling with flow through porous media. i need to model a stokes flow past a porous sphere. do you know how to model it so that the streamlines or arrow vectors were going through the sphere (showing how the flow behaves there) not only around it?

and second question. what is the best way of showing how the flow changes with porosity variations on animation? when i do it in standard way (introducing a parameter) the animation is static.

I would be extremely grateful for help. i'm enclosing a basic model.

3 Replies Last Post 2010/07/10 12:00 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/05 8:05 GMT-4
Hi

You probably have version 4 because I wasn't able to open the model. So I don't know if this helps but...

With a porous area and a free flow around it, very little of the flow goes through the sphere. That is why the arrows are very very small inside the porous area (mass transfer happens mostly by diffusion).
To see the streamlines inside the porous area I had to select "uniform density" for the streamline plot instead of "magnitude controlled" or "start point controlled". I don't know if it is different in version 4.

Sorry but I have no idea about the animations.
Hi You probably have version 4 because I wasn't able to open the model. So I don't know if this helps but... With a porous area and a free flow around it, very little of the flow goes through the sphere. That is why the arrows are very very small inside the porous area (mass transfer happens mostly by diffusion). To see the streamlines inside the porous area I had to select "uniform density" for the streamline plot instead of "magnitude controlled" or "start point controlled". I don't know if it is different in version 4. Sorry but I have no idea about the animations.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/06 4:42 GMT-4
Cheers for the tips (and yeah, it's v4).

It's quite a problematic application, I haven't seen a decent model yet to be honest.. if anyone has sth like this it'd be grand to see it.

natalia
Cheers for the tips (and yeah, it's v4). It's quite a problematic application, I haven't seen a decent model yet to be honest.. if anyone has sth like this it'd be grand to see it. natalia

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/10 12:00 GMT-4
Hi

I had a look, I noticed you are using stationary, that meas that any time depedent or transient changes will not show up, only the last final stage when your sphere is saturated.

by the way use "Streamline Positioning - Magnitude controlled" to get a better image.
Furthermore your case is so symmetric that you might use only 1/4 of the total area with symemtry/antisymmetry conditions it calculates quicker.

Then your input velocity is probably not that square, have you played with dirrerent in/oulet definitions ?

None of these answers directly your question, I'm afraid, probably I'm not catching what is wrong

If you are not interested in the liquide, only what is going inside the sphere, then select the physics (in V4), select the domain 1=liquide and hit the "hide" button

This adds a "Hide Geometric Entity" in the "Model - Definitions - View" node

and when you go back to your results 2D plot and do a "refresh" you will see the detaile scaled to your porous sphere

Good luck
Ivar

Hi I had a look, I noticed you are using stationary, that meas that any time depedent or transient changes will not show up, only the last final stage when your sphere is saturated. by the way use "Streamline Positioning - Magnitude controlled" to get a better image. Furthermore your case is so symmetric that you might use only 1/4 of the total area with symemtry/antisymmetry conditions it calculates quicker. Then your input velocity is probably not that square, have you played with dirrerent in/oulet definitions ? None of these answers directly your question, I'm afraid, probably I'm not catching what is wrong If you are not interested in the liquide, only what is going inside the sphere, then select the physics (in V4), select the domain 1=liquide and hit the "hide" button This adds a "Hide Geometric Entity" in the "Model - Definitions - View" node and when you go back to your results 2D plot and do a "refresh" you will see the detaile scaled to your porous sphere Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.