Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D cut plane Plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have another problem here with comsol 4.0. I have a three-dimensional structure in which I simulate an electric field. Now I would like to produce a cut plane plot from this. So far I succeeded in doing the following.

I defined my cut plane in the data sets node using quick zx-plane at a given y-coordinate.
I created a new 2D plot group containing a surface plot and a streamline plot, choosing the Data Set "Cut plane 1".

So far this works, now I'm having the following issues:

(important!! I have made a picture illustrating these issues, please take a look at the attached image, then it should quickly become clear)

(1, most pressing)
The axes are mixed up! What was the z axis in the 3D Model is now displayed on the horizontal axis of the 2D plot. The x axis in the 3D Model corresponds to the vertical axis. And I found no way to swap those axes or otherwise alter the view and orientation of my plot. In the 3D case I am able to create a 3D view, adjust the settings in the "camera" node, particularly to choose a "up"'-vector, which is exaclty what I would need in the 2D case, and then choose this view in the toolbar. In the 2D case however there is no toolbar button for choosing another 2D view, neither is it possible to define an orientation or "up-vector" in the 2D view settings. I cannot believe that there is no way of changing the axis orientation in 2D Plots??

(2, also quite pressing)
When I choose "uniform density", in the streamline plot settings I get an error "domain numbers out of range". The options "startpoint controlled" and "magnitude controlled" work fine.

(3)
Instead of straight edges in my 2D plot i get sawtooth-like shaped borders. Is there a simple way to adjust the mesh so this does not happen?

Thank you
Clemens

0 Replies Last Post 2010/07/14 12:41 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Clemens Nyffeler

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.