Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Linear Solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi:

In comsol 3.5a, the linear solver best used for 3D applications was the GMRES solver.
In comsol 4.0 this solver does not exist. Available solvers in comsol 4.0 are:
Mumps
Paridos
Spoodles.

Which of one these solvers are best used for complex 3D models?

Also can someone explain the difference between these solvers as
the user manual does not do that.

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 2010/07/15 11:49 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/15 11:30 GMT-4
Hi

As usual it all depdends. I mostly trust the default solver COMSOL proposes, then if I have doubts then only I try the others
Good luck
Ivar
Hi As usual it all depdends. I mostly trust the default solver COMSOL proposes, then if I have doubts then only I try the others Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/15 11:49 GMT-4
Hi:

Thank you for your reply.

When I run the solve the 3D model, it gets stuck around 7 GB.
Could that be because of the solver or is that a problem concerning
the meshing?

Thanks

PJ
Hi: Thank you for your reply. When I run the solve the 3D model, it gets stuck around 7 GB. Could that be because of the solver or is that a problem concerning the meshing? Thanks PJ

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.