Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact pairs & infinite elements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone...
I'm trying to simulate a 2D capacitor in COMSOL and I have some problems when introducing the slap between the two plates and the infinite element block sorrounding the air.

I've solved the problem for a big air box around the device. I've seen that when the charges of the plates are oposite sign the two plates approaches one to the other and the oposite.
Now, I don't want to use a very big air box, so one alternative is to use the infinite element method but it is not working.

In the other hand, I want to see the slap of one plate over the other but I don't figure out how COMSOL takes into account this effects.

The file is attached.

Every suggestion will be apreciated. Thanks!
Miquel

2 Replies Last Post 2010/07/22 11:06 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/21 4:21 GMT-4
Hi

checlk the doc for PML (Perfectly Matched Layers, and infiniet elements) this should allow you to reduce drastically the surrounding "air"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi checlk the doc for PML (Perfectly Matched Layers, and infiniet elements) this should allow you to reduce drastically the surrounding "air" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/07/22 11:06 GMT-4
Ok!!
Thanks a lot
Miquel
Ok!! Thanks a lot Miquel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.