Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

will you please kindly help me, what type of meshing is suitable for Shunt switch design, which has fixed- fixed cantilever beam (switch) of inverted U shape above the signal conductor, both are based on same boundry of air domain which is enclosing whole switch and signal conductor.

2 Replies Last Post 2010/09/21 23:53 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/09/21 1:21 GMT-4
Hi
Mesh type and density is a delicate issue: you need enough elements to correctly model all gradiets in your model, that the element quality is correct (for me about >5%) and still leave enough ram free to solve and run the problem on your computer.

I mostly start with default mesh (triangles in 2D or teths in 3D), but if you have many rectangular blocs then quad or block meshng based on mapped meshes are often easy to generate. Mixing teth and blocks is not always possible, then you need to split your blocks first. For long parts you have the sweep mesh option, for axial symmetry in 3D the revolve option.

Note that in 2D axi, any mmesh touching the 2D axis must be a quad (triangles/thehs are not allowed).

One of the points in COMSOl is that it applies the shape function (higher order elements) to he mesh elements independently (in other tool these are often linked). The default is 2nd order shape elements in COMSOL, but it reverts to 1st order if the mesh quaity is too low nad there might be "inverted elements"

Best way: try it out the simplest way, then refine you mesh a few times to check that the results do not change too much

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Mesh type and density is a delicate issue: you need enough elements to correctly model all gradiets in your model, that the element quality is correct (for me about >5%) and still leave enough ram free to solve and run the problem on your computer. I mostly start with default mesh (triangles in 2D or teths in 3D), but if you have many rectangular blocs then quad or block meshng based on mapped meshes are often easy to generate. Mixing teth and blocks is not always possible, then you need to split your blocks first. For long parts you have the sweep mesh option, for axial symmetry in 3D the revolve option. Note that in 2D axi, any mmesh touching the 2D axis must be a quad (triangles/thehs are not allowed). One of the points in COMSOl is that it applies the shape function (higher order elements) to he mesh elements independently (in other tool these are often linked). The default is 2nd order shape elements in COMSOL, but it reverts to 1st order if the mesh quaity is too low nad there might be "inverted elements" Best way: try it out the simplest way, then refine you mesh a few times to check that the results do not change too much -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/09/21 23:53 GMT-4
Thank you....
Thank you....

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.