Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question on mechanics and dynamics of membrane material in 3D space

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

In my research, I am doing a mechanical model of a sheet of membrane material in 3D space. The thickness is zero, so it differs from a thin shell. I am wondering if comsol can simulate this kind of problem.

Thanks a lot!

John

3 Replies Last Post 2011/02/28 12:19 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/02/28 1:08 GMT-5
Hi

well what do you mean by "zero thickness" to be "physical" you need at least one layer of atoms, no ?

I would answer in generality yes COMSOL can simulate most cases, even when you assume the thickness is zero (replacing 3D by boundaries. But you should not expect that COMSOL has ready BC and physics written out for all your need, so you must most probably complement it. But that is also what COMSOL is for: writing out the physics.

For me the main issue I need in this type of simulation is how to correctly simulate a layer of "thin features" lets say you have a stack of already 4 layers, how to define them ? how are they superposed such that we know the order and that their respective thickness is taken into account by all 4 layers to give a correct result ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well what do you mean by "zero thickness" to be "physical" you need at least one layer of atoms, no ? I would answer in generality yes COMSOL can simulate most cases, even when you assume the thickness is zero (replacing 3D by boundaries. But you should not expect that COMSOL has ready BC and physics written out for all your need, so you must most probably complement it. But that is also what COMSOL is for: writing out the physics. For me the main issue I need in this type of simulation is how to correctly simulate a layer of "thin features" lets say you have a stack of already 4 layers, how to define them ? how are they superposed such that we know the order and that their respective thickness is taken into account by all 4 layers to give a correct result ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/02/28 11:54 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for your help. Since it is a mathematical model, we assume the thickness of the material sheet is zero, but still contains some mechanical properties, just like 2D stress & strain problem. We will have (2D-) curved surface geometry of the membrane in the 3D space, and the equations governing its dynamics. Do you mean the comsol can handle that well?

Thanks again,
Jifeng
Hi Ivar, Thank you for your help. Since it is a mathematical model, we assume the thickness of the material sheet is zero, but still contains some mechanical properties, just like 2D stress & strain problem. We will have (2D-) curved surface geometry of the membrane in the 3D space, and the equations governing its dynamics. Do you mean the comsol can handle that well? Thanks again, Jifeng

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/02/28 12:19 GMT-5
Hi

Well the best is to contact your local COMSOL representative and get a firm offer/demo and check by him (I'm not COMSOL)

From what I understand, I believe it's possible, but I can not CLEARLY say I havent tried out similar things myself (writing such equations) as I have had no time to do it, but I have used the already included "thin" features and BC's of COMSOL so far, with success

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Well the best is to contact your local COMSOL representative and get a firm offer/demo and check by him (I'm not COMSOL) From what I understand, I believe it's possible, but I can not CLEARLY say I havent tried out similar things myself (writing such equations) as I have had no time to do it, but I have used the already included "thin" features and BC's of COMSOL so far, with success -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.