Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply a travelling wave to a structure??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to design a stacked ring structure to which I want to apply a travelling voltage wave. Please help me out.

1 Reply Last Post 2020/08/03 22:29 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020/08/03 22:29 GMT-4

Let's assume your rings are along x and the wave is traveling along x. I'll also assume you are working in frequency domain and in a mode that allows discrete potentials to be user-specified. So you can apply discrete potentials to each ring, but with a complex factor exp(-j * k * xpos_n), where k = 2 * pi/lambda (or any other phase factor you prefer) and xpos_n is the position (say, at the middle) of the nth ring. If you want the potential wave to "travel" in the other direction, simply change the sign of k. That should do it, I think.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Let's assume your rings are along x and the wave is traveling along x. I'll also assume you are working in frequency domain and in a mode that allows discrete potentials to be user-specified. So you can apply discrete potentials to each ring, but with a complex factor exp(-j * k * xpos_n), where k = 2 * pi/lambda (or any other phase factor you prefer) and xpos_n is the position (say, at the middle) of the nth ring. If you want the potential wave to "travel" in the other direction, simply change the sign of k. That should do it, I think.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.