Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plane wave propagation inside a duct (Vibroacoustic)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I me dealing with an interesting vibroacoustic problem and wanna model it WIth COMSOL.

The subject is : A duct (Air inside)of one meter length and cross sectional 0.2m*0.2m (width=1m)
Boundary conditions : unit velocity at one end
zero velocity Boundary condition is applied at the other end (rigid wall)
The 4 lateral sides are assigned rigid wall.

Frequency = 100hz.
Material (duct) = Any (wood, alu,etc...)

My questions are :
- COMSOL doesn't contain Velocity boundary ? (Drive me mad)
- How to handle that with COMSOL ?

Your help would be very appreciated .......
Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 2012/08/08 20:45 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/23 10:50 GMT-4
Hi

I do not have the acoustic module, but I see you have Normal Velocity BCs from the doc and in structural prescribed velocities BC exist. what do you need more ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have the acoustic module, but I see you have Normal Velocity BCs from the doc and in structural prescribed velocities BC exist. what do you need more ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/23 11:53 GMT-4
Thanks for the tip.
Great idea.

But as i m dealing with Helmholtz equation, i find aonther way, buy taking Partial diffrential equation.

My second question :

Don't know how to model interaction between A fluid AIr and solid vibrating (any) close.
I mean how to define Material in that case ?

I have tried linear elastic for the fluid and solid, but doesn't work !

What do you think ...Your tips are welcome SIr. Any !

Thanks again.
Thanks for the tip. Great idea. But as i m dealing with Helmholtz equation, i find aonther way, buy taking Partial diffrential equation. My second question : Don't know how to model interaction between A fluid AIr and solid vibrating (any) close. I mean how to define Material in that case ? I have tried linear elastic for the fluid and solid, but doesn't work ! What do you think ...Your tips are welcome SIr. Any ! Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/23 13:03 GMT-4
Hi

A fluid is no linear elastic material, OK you can cheat and say Poisson =0 Young = 1/3 of absolute pressure. But i do not believe you will get very far. You can also model the air as an added mass to the solid surface (for eigenmode or frequency domain sweep), but I'm not sure how to model approximately the viscosity and damping in this way.

The Acoustic module proposes much more, but I do not have it, unfortunately, so I cannot help much here

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A fluid is no linear elastic material, OK you can cheat and say Poisson =0 Young = 1/3 of absolute pressure. But i do not believe you will get very far. You can also model the air as an added mass to the solid surface (for eigenmode or frequency domain sweep), but I'm not sure how to model approximately the viscosity and damping in this way. The Acoustic module proposes much more, but I do not have it, unfortunately, so I cannot help much here -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/23 14:54 GMT-4

Sounds right.
I'm still working on it.

Thanks again.
Sounds right. I'm still working on it. Thanks again.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/08/08 20:45 GMT-4
Hi Griffin,

Have you been able to solve this issue. If yes, can you provide us with some guidelines as to how to go about solving these problems.

Thanks
Sankha
Hi Griffin, Have you been able to solve this issue. If yes, can you provide us with some guidelines as to how to go about solving these problems. Thanks Sankha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.