Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Initial value of solution not respected by transient simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear forum, I want to calculate a thermal expansion problem in which I am starting from a stationary solution to run the transient model. For that, I am first running the stationary themal+structural, then the transient thermal and finally the transient structural. My problem comes when using the stationary solution as the starting point for the transient one. The thermal initial condition seems to be respected. However, the structural one is not. Interestingly, if I only run the initial step, the solution is different of what I obtain if I run and I get t=0 s of the transient solution. What could be causing this? Thank you and best regards, Eduardo

1 Reply Last Post 2021/08/01 5:08 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2021/08/01 5:08 GMT-4

Hello Eduardo,

How did you specify your initial conditions? Did you set it for both the variables solved for and those not solved for?

Hello Eduardo, How did you specify your initial conditions? Did you set it for both the variables solved for and those not solved for?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.