Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PCB layer mesh problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How can I make the square influenced by the heat source?
You and find that the mesh densities of the square and the bottom layer are different. I know that if I make the square and the bottom layer as an union, it will work. But I am wondering if I can only make it as two layer, what should I do then?
I have a two layers PCB. but the top layer seems independent to the bottom.There is a thermal Isolation around the square. How can I change it?

1 Reply Last Post 2012/06/22 17:09 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/22 17:09 GMT-4
Hi

I believe you cannot do it that way, a 2D model has a default 1m depth in Z but you cannot define Z layers in 2D, for that you need to go 3D, by first extruding your imported 2D geometry.

In 3D you do not need to use assembly mode, use geometry union mode, you will then split the surface of your 3D and on this surface cut you can define a thin layer of a conductor (use material BOUNDARY and not Domain type, you might need to add a second material for the boundary definitions, that I haven't had time to check in 4.3 yet ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you cannot do it that way, a 2D model has a default 1m depth in Z but you cannot define Z layers in 2D, for that you need to go 3D, by first extruding your imported 2D geometry. In 3D you do not need to use assembly mode, use geometry union mode, you will then split the surface of your 3D and on this surface cut you can define a thin layer of a conductor (use material BOUNDARY and not Domain type, you might need to add a second material for the boundary definitions, that I haven't had time to check in 4.3 yet ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.