Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule Heating with Thermal Expansion Simple Setup

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am new to COMSOL but have used other software for simulations (ANSYS), I am currently trying to model an aluminum wire embedded in a polyethylene substrate, just doing a 2D analysis for now. I have created a potential difference for the wire and would like to see the resulting thermal gradient, and the ultimate goal of the stress created between the wire and the substrate.

However when I go to solve I get an error that I have undefined values, I narrowed it down to the polyethylene, but can not find any missing values?

To move past this I temporarily just selected copper as a substrate material, this got past the first error, but a new error appears that there are degrees of freedom (resulting during the mechanical analysis) I have a fixed edge so not sure what else I should have to define.

Attached is the file I have been working with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post 2013/01/18 10:02 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Brandon Voelker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/18 10:02 GMT-5
Dear Brandon,

please check forum entry 31019
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/31019/
where the same error occurs.

You have chosen a poisson's ratio of 0.5 which leads to infinite numbers on the diagonal. Choosing a value of 0.499 will solve your problem.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Brandon, please check forum entry 31019 http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/31019/ where the same error occurs. You have chosen a poisson's ratio of 0.5 which leads to infinite numbers on the diagonal. Choosing a value of 0.499 will solve your problem. Best regards, Frank

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.