Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling of Electrostatics and Nerst plank equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to solve two equations simultaneously as follows

1) Div(Grad (V)) = - rho/eps

2) Div(D*Grad(C) - Z*u_m*F*C*Grad(V)) = 0

where V is voltage ,rho is space charge density, eps is permittivity of the material, D is the diffusion coefficient, C is the concentration of species (mol/m^3), Z is the charge number, u_m is the mobility coefficient and F is Faraday constant.
rho = F*C (C/m^3). I am using the default settings with UMFPACK coupled solver but I am not able to get any thing. The code returns the message "failed to find the solution". I think that the coupling seems to be simple.

Does any one have any experience of this kind ???

1 Reply Last Post 2013/01/16 23:16 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/16 23:16 GMT-5
I assume you are trying to simulate electrical double layer or related problem. Please check the consistency of units and boundary conditions. Sometimes scaled variables also helps in quick convergence.

How you are calculating your rho (volumetric space charge density)? are you calculating it or imposing it somehow?

Please post more information if you can not resolve your problem.

I assume you are trying to simulate electrical double layer or related problem. Please check the consistency of units and boundary conditions. Sometimes scaled variables also helps in quick convergence. How you are calculating your rho (volumetric space charge density)? are you calculating it or imposing it somehow? Please post more information if you can not resolve your problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.