Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issue importing ipt files from Inventor with the CAD module

Matthieu Dalban-Canassy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I can't seem to import a simple IPT cad file (that has a helix built in) from inventor, the import module gives me an error back saying:
Not a valid ENTITY type for this operation

- Detail: Internal_error_translating_CAD_model
- Detail: File version is not supported
- Filename:...

Is there any version limitation on inventor files or would that be something else?
Thanks in advance,
Matthieu

2 Replies Last Post 2013/05/02 16:40 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matthieu Dalban-Canassy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/05/02 10:34 GMT-4
Hi all,

Got the same problem than you, except this time it is for a .SLDASM file created with SolidWorks...

Could anyone help us ?

Thanks in advance,
Etienne
Hi all, Got the same problem than you, except this time it is for a .SLDASM file created with SolidWorks... Could anyone help us ? Thanks in advance, Etienne

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/05/02 16:40 GMT-4
Hi

A torus and worse helix's are tricky geometries many kernels do a poor job generating them.
Have you tried to play with the kernel option (COMSOL or the CAD too one ?
Else is it possible to reconstruct the helix with COMSOL, you can make hybrid CAD, partly imported, partly reconstructed locally (at least that works OK for me in SolidWorks. But I have always been critical with Bezier curves and splines, these often translate badly into 3D surfaces when exporting (also between CAD systems I have noticed

Sometimes a SolidWorks file is read-in cleaner when saved as a Parasolid file (*.x_t) or when moving back in version ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A torus and worse helix's are tricky geometries many kernels do a poor job generating them. Have you tried to play with the kernel option (COMSOL or the CAD too one ? Else is it possible to reconstruct the helix with COMSOL, you can make hybrid CAD, partly imported, partly reconstructed locally (at least that works OK for me in SolidWorks. But I have always been critical with Bezier curves and splines, these often translate badly into 3D surfaces when exporting (also between CAD systems I have noticed Sometimes a SolidWorks file is read-in cleaner when saved as a Parasolid file (*.x_t) or when moving back in version ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.