Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thin Thermally Resistive Layer on top of Boundary Heat Source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I want to simulate a flat mikroheater on top of a foil that is covered by a liquid. Since the foil has a thickness of about 100µm and the liquid covering the heater has a height of 1mm, the heater's height of about 0,5µm is almost negligible. Additionally the heater is covered with a thin passivation layer with 5µm thickness.

To simulate the temperature increase of the heater I wanted to use "Boundary Heat Source" with a defined "Total boundary power". On top of it I wanted to use a "Thin thermally resistive Layer", but I did not find out how to defne two layers on top of each other.

Is there any possibility to do so?

Many thanks in advance

Bastian

3 Replies Last Post 2016/05/18 1:50 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/06/28 5:58 GMT-4
Hi,

probably it is not possible, see: "can comsol support multilayer shell?"

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/28316/

Best regards

Bastian
Hi, probably it is not possible, see: "can comsol support multilayer shell?" http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/28316/ Best regards Bastian

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/06/28 16:18 GMT-4
Hi Bastian,

This issue is different from multilayered shells. A boundary heat source is not a “layer”. It is strictly on the boundary. A thin thermally resistive layer has to be internal to the domain. If I understand your problem correctly you should create a line/surface offset from the boundary and apply the thermally resistive layer there.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Bastian, This issue is different from multilayered shells. A boundary heat source is not a “layer”. It is strictly on the boundary. A thin thermally resistive layer has to be internal to the domain. If I understand your problem correctly you should create a line/surface offset from the boundary and apply the thermally resistive layer there. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 8 years ago 2016/05/18 1:50 GMT-4
when you say 'surface offset' that would mean a physical thin layer which would need a lot of elements and defeat the purpose of thin layer definitions.
may be i misunderstand
when you say 'surface offset' that would mean a physical thin layer which would need a lot of elements and defeat the purpose of thin layer definitions. may be i misunderstand

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.