Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

structural- joints- conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

Does anybody knows to take different clamping conditions into account. The joints influence the damping of a structure in a very dominant way. Is there any possibility to modell such a structural behavior?

Thanks for any reply!

kind regards,
Steve

2 Replies Last Post 2010/09/16 4:50 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/09/16 2:42 GMT-4
Hi
clamping, ot bolting is a delicate issue, in general with structures, the question about structural (material damping) and assembly damping is a non-trivial question. Specially how to assess the damping values and to integrate into a model.

I mostly distribute the damping as an average in nhe "beta" variable, when needed (for modal and transfer function analysis), I do not have a specifc "clamping" approach

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi clamping, ot bolting is a delicate issue, in general with structures, the question about structural (material damping) and assembly damping is a non-trivial question. Specially how to assess the damping values and to integrate into a model. I mostly distribute the damping as an average in nhe "beta" variable, when needed (for modal and transfer function analysis), I do not have a specifc "clamping" approach -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/09/16 4:50 GMT-4
Hi Ivar!

I did the aproach vie "beta" before, another method would help to interpret the real mode shapes in more detail...
Thanks for your help!

kind regards,
Steve
Hi Ivar! I did the aproach vie "beta" before, another method would help to interpret the real mode shapes in more detail... Thanks for your help! kind regards, Steve

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.