Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Complex differential equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new user of Comsol and I try to solve this differential equation :

d''u/dz'' * (1+k*Sin(u)^2)*(1/pi)^2+ (d'u/dz')^2 * (sin(u)*cos(u)*(1/pi)^2+v*sin(u)*cos(u)=0

where:

k and v are constants and u is a function of z, while the range of z is : 0<z<1.

also : u(0)=0 and u(1)=pi/2

How can I solve it ?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 2016/07/25 14:31 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016/07/25 14:31 GMT-4
Hello Asi,
Your equation is a perfect candidate for what at COMSOL we call "Equation-based modeling". Admittedly that terminology is not terribly descriptive since all modeling in COMSOL consists in the software solving equations, of course. What we mean by "equation-based modeling" is that the user gets to specify his or her own equations from scratch as opposed to using one of the pre-implemented equations or modifying one. This feature comes in handy when you need to solve an unusual equation like this one.

If you have never used equation-based modeling in COMSOL a great starting point is the Reference Guide, version 5.2a, Chapter 16. You will find several tutorials on the topic, with step-by-step instructions in the Applications Libraries (accessed through the File menu in COMSOL). In particular, since your model is going to be 1D, I would recommend you read the pdf file for the Black-Scholes Equation application.
Best,
Jeff

PS: There seems to be a missing parenthesis (or an extra one) in your equation.
Hello Asi, Your equation is a perfect candidate for what at COMSOL we call "Equation-based modeling". Admittedly that terminology is not terribly descriptive since all modeling in COMSOL consists in the software solving equations, of course. What we mean by "equation-based modeling" is that the user gets to specify his or her own equations from scratch as opposed to using one of the pre-implemented equations or modifying one. This feature comes in handy when you need to solve an unusual equation like this one. If you have never used equation-based modeling in COMSOL a great starting point is the Reference Guide, version 5.2a, Chapter 16. You will find several tutorials on the topic, with step-by-step instructions in the Applications Libraries (accessed through the File menu in COMSOL). In particular, since your model is going to be 1D, I would recommend you read the pdf file for the Black-Scholes Equation application. Best, Jeff PS: There seems to be a missing parenthesis (or an extra one) in your equation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.