Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get mean value?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have made a plot in comsol. X axis is in [m] and Y is in [T]. what should I do to get mean value of flux density[T]?

6 Replies Last Post 2011/01/20 9:46 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/20 5:27 GMT-5
forget your T(x) plot ... create a (total normal heat flux)/(Cp*rho) versus x plot, integrate over desired range ox x, divide by the length of the range of x. The obtained value should be the average "Temperatureflux" [K/s/m^2]!?!?
forget your T(x) plot ... create a (total normal heat flux)/(Cp*rho) versus x plot, integrate over desired range ox x, divide by the length of the range of x. The obtained value should be the average "Temperatureflux" [K/s/m^2]!?!?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/20 6:32 GMT-5
hmm...maybe I didn't explain properly what is problem. It's no t temperature. On Y axis is flux density in [T]-tesla, and on X axis is [m]-meter. I don't know what is Cp and rho in your explanation. I'm not very familiar with comsol:/ Could you explain me step by step what to do? I mean, what function I have to use and how? Currently I've beautiful graph similar to sinusoid but I what know what is mean value. it's ac/dc module.thx.
hmm...maybe I didn't explain properly what is problem. It's no t temperature. On Y axis is flux density in [T]-tesla, and on X axis is [m]-meter. I don't know what is Cp and rho in your explanation. I'm not very familiar with comsol:/ Could you explain me step by step what to do? I mean, what function I have to use and how? Currently I've beautiful graph similar to sinusoid but I what know what is mean value. it's ac/dc module.thx.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/20 7:03 GMT-5
Forget my post :)

I just thought you are meant T for "Temperature". Yes, T as a unit is Tesla ... :)
btw: Cp ist the heat capacity at constant pressure and rho is the density.

But: to get an arithmetic mean value: integrate the varying value, then divide by the length of the integration range.
Forget my post :) I just thought you are meant T for "Temperature". Yes, T as a unit is Tesla ... :) btw: Cp ist the heat capacity at constant pressure and rho is the density. But: to get an arithmetic mean value: integrate the varying value, then divide by the length of the integration range.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/20 9:03 GMT-5
Hi

From V4 off you have the "Definition - Average operator", that integrates a variable over a length, respective surface or volume and then divide by the total length, respective area or volume to extract the numerical average, all pre-cooked for you ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From V4 off you have the "Definition - Average operator", that integrates a variable over a length, respective surface or volume and then divide by the total length, respective area or volume to extract the numerical average, all pre-cooked for you ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/20 9:22 GMT-5
yes! thanks..one more question-how to put line with my mean value to the plot I've created?. I know only how to insert a value to the axis( plot> extra y) but I would like to lay eyes on it.
yes! thanks..one more question-how to put line with my mean value to the plot I've created?. I know only how to insert a value to the axis( plot> extra y) but I would like to lay eyes on it.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/20 9:46 GMT-5
Hi

in v4 make a "constant" function, and add a table value from a global derivation and plot in ontop of your existing plot. slightly complicated for a straigh line but "logic" once you have done it. And then you can adapt your function to something more complex than a straight line

Another way plot the deviation from the avrage, by subtracting the average value to the plot variable

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in v4 make a "constant" function, and add a table value from a global derivation and plot in ontop of your existing plot. slightly complicated for a straigh line but "logic" once you have done it. And then you can adapt your function to something more complex than a straight line Another way plot the deviation from the avrage, by subtracting the average value to the plot variable -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.