Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meaningul drag output

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

This is a working stationary turbulent flow model.

I have created an integral solution set around the boundaries of the object id like to determine lift and drag for.

All posts i have read involve using -reacf(v) and -reacf(u) but these only return 0s for me.
In addition there is no preset drag selection as an expression as there was for laminar flow.

What I would like to do is compare a few shapes and select the one with the least drag and most lift. Can someone advise me on how to do this please? Once this model is working I will put the different geometries into it.

The model is attached

thanks so much!

Alex

1 Reply Last Post 2012/12/13 22:09 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Lovallo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/12/13 22:09 GMT-5
I have the same problem. I would like to determine the drag coefficient on a cylinder for higher reynolds numbers. I have basically just used the flow over a cylinder model and I am trying to get the drag coefficient for reynolds numbers going from 1 to 10,000,000. when I tried to solve it for Reynolds = 1000 (U_mean=0.02) I got an error and when I tried the turbulence model with Reynolds =1000 I got a drag coefficient of about 0. I bumped up the reynolds number (by increasing the velocity) to be sure that I am clearly in the turbulence range and I can only get drag coef of 0. I am using reacf(u) to get my drag (which has been working for the lower reynolds numbers), but I can not get anything other than drag coefficient of 0 for turbulent flow model.
I have the same problem. I would like to determine the drag coefficient on a cylinder for higher reynolds numbers. I have basically just used the flow over a cylinder model and I am trying to get the drag coefficient for reynolds numbers going from 1 to 10,000,000. when I tried to solve it for Reynolds = 1000 (U_mean=0.02) I got an error and when I tried the turbulence model with Reynolds =1000 I got a drag coefficient of about 0. I bumped up the reynolds number (by increasing the velocity) to be sure that I am clearly in the turbulence range and I can only get drag coef of 0. I am using reacf(u) to get my drag (which has been working for the lower reynolds numbers), but I can not get anything other than drag coefficient of 0 for turbulent flow model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.