Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL example model results do not match with Mathematical Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I started to look into freq response analysis of a cantilever beam using COMSOL. Luckily COMSOL already has an example model "Model Library>> Structural mechanics module>>Dynamics and Vibrations>>rotating blade". While not changing anything in the model and with Omega=0 and Cloris =0, I get the following results

Resonance Freq1 = 84.36
Resonance Freq2 =528.84
Resonance Freq3 =949.31

Resonance Freq4 =1316.00
Resonance Freq5 =1481.41
Resonance Freq6 =2882.00

But Euler beam theory (options>>constants) gives me the following

Resonance Freq1 = 84.36
Resonance Freq2 =528.66
Resonance Freq3 =1862.89

Resonance Freq4 =3650.55
Resonance Freq5 =6034.61
Resonance Freq6 =9064.89

Clearly the results do not match after 2nd natural/ resonance freq. I am quite sure that COMSOL example model cannot be wrong but there is something odd. Some elaboration would be appreciated

2 Replies Last Post 2011/06/14 8:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/14 0:47 GMT-4
Hi

there are many tings that can change (but I would rather trust COMSOL for the given shape, material and loading you have defined)

Are you 100% sure you are exactly in the same dimension (2D/3D), same material, same shapes, same overall BC's ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are many tings that can change (but I would rather trust COMSOL for the given shape, material and loading you have defined) Are you 100% sure you are exactly in the same dimension (2D/3D), same material, same shapes, same overall BC's ? -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/14 8:17 GMT-4
You are comparing apples and oranges. The COMSOL model is a full 3D model, so it is expected that it would capture eigenfrequencies that a beam model would miss.
You are comparing apples and oranges. The COMSOL model is a full 3D model, so it is expected that it would capture eigenfrequencies that a beam model would miss.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.