Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Helical coil meshing in comsol 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.
I'm meshing a helical coil drawing with comsol 4.1 helix primitive. My idea was to perform a sweep meshing. So I meshed the start boundary with free triangular and then I added a sweep meshing where I indicated the start boundary the stop boundary and the element distribution.
Trying with different configurations I had the same error "Inverted element"
Any idea
Regards

3 Replies Last Post 2011/06/14 8:31 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/14 6:40 GMT-4
**Removed by Author***
**Removed by Author***

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/14 7:57 GMT-4
Ali, what you posted is incorrect, the swept mesher does support changes in directions and changes in the cross-section. Javier, please see the attached screenshot which shows a swept mesh used to mesh a helix. All settings in the Helix 1, Free Triangular 1 and Swept 1 nodes are default.
Ali, what you posted is incorrect, the swept mesher does support changes in directions and changes in the cross-section. Javier, please see the attached screenshot which shows a swept mesh used to mesh a helix. All settings in the Helix 1, Free Triangular 1 and Swept 1 nodes are default.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/14 8:31 GMT-4

My bad, i did not intend to give false information but I had a similr experience with sweeping ( I still have) where comsol simply fails to sweep through a volume with a change in cross section. Thank you for the hint though
[QUOTE] Ali, what you posted is incorrect, the swept mesher does support changes in directions and changes in the cross-section. Javier, please see the attached screenshot which shows a swept mesh used to mesh a helix. All settings in the Helix 1, Free Triangular 1 and Swept 1 nodes are default. [/QUOTE] My bad, i did not intend to give false information but I had a similr experience with sweeping ( I still have) where comsol simply fails to sweep through a volume with a change in cross section. Thank you for the hint though

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.