Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiple Studies vs. Multiple Steps in a Single Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Can someone summarize the pros & cons of configuring a model with multiple studies vs a single study with multiple steps? I've read through the documentation refence manual and searched the forums, but nothing really explains when is best to use either.

Regards,

Paul

1 Reply Last Post 2019/08/13 2:00 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 2019/08/13 2:00 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 2019/08/13 1:52 GMT-4

Hi,

The main advantage of using multiple study steps is that initial conditions are automatically taken from the preceding step. It is also easier to run the whole sequence at one go.

When you use separate studies you have to make more settings in the study node to point to the results in the preceding study. I prefer this approach if I need to examine the results of one step before proceeding to the next.

There are also some differences in how results are stored and shown. In a sequence with several study steps, you will typically only see the results of the last step as a default. You can however access the results of the intermediate steps manually.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, The main advantage of using multiple study steps is that initial conditions are automatically taken from the preceding step. It is also easier to run the whole sequence at one go. When you use separate studies you have to make more settings in the study node to point to the results in the preceding study. I prefer this approach if I need to examine the results of one step before proceeding to the next. There are also some differences in how results are stored and shown. In a sequence with several study steps, you will typically only see the results of the last step as a default. You can however access the results of the intermediate steps manually. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.