Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,

I tried to find the modes of a ridge waveguide, but comsol said he failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
I think the problem is that i have a function that changes the refractive index of one of the layers.

How can I solve the problem?

1 Reply Last Post 2011/12/06 14:55 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/12/06 14:55 GMT-5
I see 2 problems in your model:
1. Delete argument of your function, "[m]".
2. To refer to your function, you need to use proper argument. For example, "index(13.5e-9)"
If you make these two changes the error will disappear.

P.S.: your meshing is really bad. Start meshing the structure from the thinnest layer.
I see 2 problems in your model: 1. Delete argument of your function, "[m]". 2. To refer to your function, you need to use proper argument. For example, "index(13.5e-9)" If you make these two changes the error will disappear. P.S.: your meshing is really bad. Start meshing the structure from the thinnest layer.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.