Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer in Pipe Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

COMSOL newbie here haha. I am trying to model the flow of compressed hydrogen through a cold pipe, and essentially, I want to see how much the temperature of the hydrogen will cool down as it flows through the pipe in steady state conditions.

The pipe is Copper and is at 77 K, whilst the hydrogen (700 bar so density is at 42 kg) is at 233 K and entering at a flow rate of 0.06 kg/s. I am using the turbulent k-eps conjugate heat transfer flow module but I am not sure why it is not working. When I run the model, tThe temperature of the entire system (fluid and solid domain) just stay constant at 233 K....

I have defined an inflow, outflow and initial values 2 (233 K for fluid, whilst Initial values 1 is 77 K for Copper pipe). have also defined inlet and outlet. My boundary conditions are shown in the image attached.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? :(

Cheers, James

1 Reply Last Post 2020/05/04 10:45 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020/05/04 10:45 GMT-4

Hello, I would upload your model so others could look at the set up.

Hello, I would upload your model so others could look at the set up.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.