Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Damping in Transient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

It seems that in transient solid mechanics the damping is not taken into account. I tried to introduce a structural loss factor but whatever the value i put in the subnode "Damping" i still have the same results.
I also introduced a complex young modulus E*=E(1+i*eta_s) but i got the same results. Did you face this problem?? i'am on Comsol 4.2 and 4.2a
In frequency domaine evrything is ok!

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 2012/06/24 17:50 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/01 8:56 GMT-5
Hi,

For transient models you must either use Rayleigh Damping factors (alpha and beta) or use viscoelastic material and add damping there via relaxation time.

Damping factors only work for frequency domain studies.

Rob
Hi, For transient models you must either use Rayleigh Damping factors (alpha and beta) or use viscoelastic material and add damping there via relaxation time. Damping factors only work for frequency domain studies. Rob

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/24 6:15 GMT-4
Thank you dear Robert.

Thank you dear Robert.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/24 8:26 GMT-4
Hi

you find much more in the new 4.3 doc, on structural, and non linear materials, and time domain damping is also possible, in alpha, beta, but not isotropic ,check the equations of your physics when you switch the solver type

And check carefully the doc (PDF files), and v4.3 has been nicely updated

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you find much more in the new 4.3 doc, on structural, and non linear materials, and time domain damping is also possible, in alpha, beta, but not isotropic ,check the equations of your physics when you switch the solver type And check carefully the doc (PDF files), and v4.3 has been nicely updated -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/24 17:50 GMT-4
Hello Ivar,

That is very interesting, thank you.

Doudou.
Hello Ivar, That is very interesting, thank you. Doudou.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.