Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incorporating contact resistance in comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am a new comsol user and have a small query which I hope someone can help me with. I am working with comsol 4.2 model involving circuit and current modules. The objective is to find out voltage distribution in a 3D assembly. The geometry is quite simple; just two half-toroids wrapped around each other (like a contact of two links in a chain). The dimensions are such that there is no gap between two half-toroids. (mph file is attached for the reference)
To find out the potential distribution, we can define one of the ends of one of the half-toroids as terminal 1 and the end of other half-toroid as ground. Now there are two steps in the problem:
1. Find out potential distribution by combining both parts and treating it as a single object.
2. Find out potential distribution by assuming a contact resistance between the parts.
For the first step, comsol forms the union but somehow fails to treat both parts as a single entity. If we look at the mesh closely we can see that the nodes at the curve of contact (two semicircles in saddle shape) do not match. As the two parts are not in contact after meshing, the model fails go generate solution.
How can I make the nodes at the contact overlap? Shouldn't the mesh be uniform after union? I tried meshing some simple objects in contact and they give nice common nodes at the contact (whether it be contact surface or contact line)
Also, is there a way to circumvent this issue and define a contact resistance between the two mating surfaces?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks
Vaibhav

3 Replies Last Post 2012/03/13 4:40 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/13 3:16 GMT-4
Hi!

For 1) you can change the relative repair tolerance for "Form Union" to 1e-2; this will solve the first problem...
For 2) I can define a contact pair, if I set repair tolerace to 1 and select assembly; see attached file (for 4.2a).

Ralf
Hi! For 1) you can change the relative repair tolerance for "Form Union" to 1e-2; this will solve the first problem... For 2) I can define a contact pair, if I set repair tolerace to 1 and select assembly; see attached file (for 4.2a). Ralf

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/13 4:33 GMT-4
Thank you!! I appreciate your help. For (1) I tried as you suggested, making repair tolerance as 1e-2 and it worked. Although I still don't understand the significance of repair tolerance in the context of this geometry (i.e. why it worked for 1e-2 and not for 1e-3)
for (2) I tried defining contact pairs in assembly but I still don't get the answer. Unfortunately the file you've attached is in 4.2a, which does not open in 4.2. Did you get a different solution than case (1)? By defining a contact pair does comsol automatically assume a value for contact resistance?

-Vaibhav
Thank you!! I appreciate your help. For (1) I tried as you suggested, making repair tolerance as 1e-2 and it worked. Although I still don't understand the significance of repair tolerance in the context of this geometry (i.e. why it worked for 1e-2 and not for 1e-3) for (2) I tried defining contact pairs in assembly but I still don't get the answer. Unfortunately the file you've attached is in 4.2a, which does not open in 4.2. Did you get a different solution than case (1)? By defining a contact pair does comsol automatically assume a value for contact resistance? -Vaibhav

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/13 4:40 GMT-4
I opened the model in 4.2a. Thank you for part (2) as well!

-Vaibhav
I opened the model in 4.2a. Thank you for part (2) as well! -Vaibhav

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.