Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Damped Cantilever Vibration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey all, I am trying to model a simple cantilever beam (50u x 5u x 5u). I am applying an edge load on end and have the face on the opposite end a fixed constraint. I want to see a transient analysis as this beam oscillates and eventually stops due to damping factors. The best form of output i would like to see is a displacement vs time graph that shows that the displacement is zero at a certain time (i would like to control this time with the damp coeff)

I have tried analyzing it in both time-domain and frequency domain modes, but in both cases all i'm getting is a single graphic displaying the displacement at the end of time, which even with a damping alpha has some displacement.

thanks for your help!

1 Reply Last Post 2012/04/24 14:46 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/04/24 14:46 GMT-4
Hi

what are you using as load ? a gaussian or step type pulse for the time domain and a constant load for the frequency scan ?

At least that is what i would try

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what are you using as load ? a gaussian or step type pulse for the time domain and a constant load for the frequency scan ? At least that is what i would try -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.