Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simualte the deformaton of the second layer based on the simulation result of the first layer?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I modeled two blocks, one is on the top of the other one. In the first place, I simulated the deformation of the bottom block by setting the its bottom side fixed(other sides are set free). In the subdomain setting of the bottom block, I only include the temperature load. when the bottom block return to room temperature, it will shrink. After getting the deformation result of the bottom block, I want to simulate the deforamtion of the top block based on the result of the bottom block. In the subdomain setting of the top block, I also include the temperature load. I don't know how to use the displacement of the bottom block as the initial value of the top block. I think there is somewhere I can set this initial value. Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 2012/06/18 11:10 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/11 5:36 GMT-4
Hi

have you checked the Model library Structural Meechanics "layered Plate" ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the Model library Structural Meechanics "layered Plate" ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/11 19:00 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Nice to receive your reply! Actually I checked the "Layered Plate" , and followed each step in that example, however, I did not get what I expected. I used two "solid stress-strain"application mode in Structure Mechanic Module.
In smsld 1, subdomain of the bottom layer is active while the top layer is inactive. I set the thermal load for the bottom layer and got its deformation. Then in smsld 2, both the subdomain of bottom and top layers are active, I only set the thermal load for the top layer. I want to see the total displacement of these two layers,but the result seems not right. Please help me, thanks very much!

Best,
Kai
Hi Ivar, Nice to receive your reply! Actually I checked the "Layered Plate" , and followed each step in that example, however, I did not get what I expected. I used two "solid stress-strain"application mode in Structure Mechanic Module. In smsld 1, subdomain of the bottom layer is active while the top layer is inactive. I set the thermal load for the bottom layer and got its deformation. Then in smsld 2, both the subdomain of bottom and top layers are active, I only set the thermal load for the top layer. I want to see the total displacement of these two layers,but the result seems not right. Please help me, thanks very much! Best, Kai

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/11 19:45 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Actually the result shows the deformation of the bottom layer does not have effects on the top layer.
since I have another trial in which I used only one "solid stress-strain" mode in Structure Mechanic Module. I modeled two layers and set both subdomains of bottom and top layers active, and set a thermal load only in the top layer, the simualtion result is the same as what I did previously using two "solid stress-strain" modes in which I tried to used the deformation of bottom layer as the initial value for the top layer.

Best,
Kai
Hi Ivar, Actually the result shows the deformation of the bottom layer does not have effects on the top layer. since I have another trial in which I used only one "solid stress-strain" mode in Structure Mechanic Module. I modeled two layers and set both subdomains of bottom and top layers active, and set a thermal load only in the top layer, the simualtion result is the same as what I did previously using two "solid stress-strain" modes in which I tried to used the deformation of bottom layer as the initial value for the top layer. Best, Kai

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/12 11:59 GMT-4
Hi

I do not have 3.5a active anymore, so its not easy to test it out, but if you have 2 smsld physics you need to get solution 2 to use solution 1 as initial conditions, and your dependent variables are normally dedoubled u1, u2 v1, v2 ... so it's easy to get these mixed up.

For me the model library example works fine and it gives you one way, and I do not really understand what is so different with your case

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have 3.5a active anymore, so its not easy to test it out, but if you have 2 smsld physics you need to get solution 2 to use solution 1 as initial conditions, and your dependent variables are normally dedoubled u1, u2 v1, v2 ... so it's easy to get these mixed up. For me the model library example works fine and it gives you one way, and I do not really understand what is so different with your case -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/18 11:10 GMT-4
Hi, Ivar,

I am re-considering the layered plate example. In the example, the analysis uses two steps. In step I, the coating layer and the substrate layer generate stress when the temperature lowers from 800 degree to 150 degree. In step 2, all three layers are active and the temperature drops from 150 degree to 20 degree, using the initial stress generated from step 1.
However, in the step 2, the example models all three layers using the rectangles with the same size.The coating and substrate layers are deformed in the step 1, and the deformed two layers are expoxied to the carrier layer at the temperature 150 degree, so initially the carrier is deformed by the upper two layers(I mean initially the carrier layer is not a rectanglar shape, but rather a bended shape). Is that right?

Thanks,

Kai

Hi

I do not have 3.5a active anymore, so its not easy to test it out, but if you have 2 smsld physics you need to get solution 2 to use solution 1 as initial conditions, and your dependent variables are normally dedoubled u1, u2 v1, v2 ... so it's easy to get these mixed up.

For me the model library example works fine and it gives you one way, and I do not really understand what is so different with your case

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi, Ivar, I am re-considering the layered plate example. In the example, the analysis uses two steps. In step I, the coating layer and the substrate layer generate stress when the temperature lowers from 800 degree to 150 degree. In step 2, all three layers are active and the temperature drops from 150 degree to 20 degree, using the initial stress generated from step 1. However, in the step 2, the example models all three layers using the rectangles with the same size.The coating and substrate layers are deformed in the step 1, and the deformed two layers are expoxied to the carrier layer at the temperature 150 degree, so initially the carrier is deformed by the upper two layers(I mean initially the carrier layer is not a rectanglar shape, but rather a bended shape). Is that right? Thanks, Kai [QUOTE] Hi I do not have 3.5a active anymore, so its not easy to test it out, but if you have 2 smsld physics you need to get solution 2 to use solution 1 as initial conditions, and your dependent variables are normally dedoubled u1, u2 v1, v2 ... so it's easy to get these mixed up. For me the model library example works fine and it gives you one way, and I do not really understand what is so different with your case -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.