Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Changing boundary type in the middle of a study (poroelasticity module)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'd like to change the boundary condition type in the middle of a time-dependent study in the poroelasticity module. Specifically, I'd like to have an inflow boundary condition for 0<t<1, and then switch to a pressure boundary condition for t>1. I've tried splitting the two conditions into two separate studies, using the results from the first study as the initial conditions for the second study, but that doesn't seem to be working correctly (e.g. if I check the last value of velocity in the first study and compare it to the first value of velocity in the second study, they don't match). It would also be nice if I could have the results all in one study so that I can plot the results continuously. Any ideas on how to do this?

1 Reply Last Post 2012/05/24 14:46 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/24 14:46 GMT-4
Hi

Today in V4.2a, apart from using Matlab to drive COMSOL I believe you can only drive itmanually, perform one study, stop, change xour BCs and continue using the stored solution as initial conditions for the next step. You cannot avoid having some ringing when you switch BC so drastically in the middle if you are in a time dependent solver sequence but it should still work.

With the new version we will have BC depending on the solver, so thes might be linked, remain how to handle the "switching" when these are NOT done smoothly by continuously derivable functions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Today in V4.2a, apart from using Matlab to drive COMSOL I believe you can only drive itmanually, perform one study, stop, change xour BCs and continue using the stored solution as initial conditions for the next step. You cannot avoid having some ringing when you switch BC so drastically in the middle if you are in a time dependent solver sequence but it should still work. With the new version we will have BC depending on the solver, so thes might be linked, remain how to handle the "switching" when these are NOT done smoothly by continuously derivable functions -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.