Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coupling operator from 2D to 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to map (with a coupling operator) a variable 'mod1.T', defined in a 2D domain (a square), to a 3D internal boundary (a vertical layer or a parametric surface inside a block, so a square in the first case, and a rectangle in the second one).

So I'm trying to do this by defining a LINEAR EXTRUSION, selecting the four vertexes of the source (square) and the four vertexes of the destination (layer/parametric surface). Then, in the Comsol node where I need to apply my new variable, I input the coupling operator name with 'mod1.T' as its argument.

But I obtain the message 'Error vertex selection, Error in multiphysics compilation'. I've tried to change the order of the vertex selection, I' ve created four points in the internal boundary to select them as 'vertex destination', and some weird ideas more... but nothing of I've done works.

Then I've changed the coupling operator, applying a GENERAL EXTRUSION, and the model runs without apparent errors, but the results are obsolet, by the way that my second study doesn't recognize the variable.

Why could it be produced? I've read the 'Coupling operators' chapter of the User's guide (only twice, maybe I need to read it again...) but I don't find the reason that this doesn't work...

Can you help me throwing some ideas or experiences? Thank you a lot.

Adriana

2 Replies Last Post 2012/06/13 12:48 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/12 15:19 GMT-4
Hi

I would say as you are mapping a 2D to another 2D you should only enter 3 points, one for the origine, one for the x axis and one for the y axis, the same on the destination, assuming the source origine projects onto the destination origine , the x axis along the destination x axis etc. The last 4th node is for 3D mapping, if I remember right.

Test it out on a simple cubic geometry a couple of times, it's not that trivial, how to select correctly the points

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say as you are mapping a 2D to another 2D you should only enter 3 points, one for the origine, one for the x axis and one for the y axis, the same on the destination, assuming the source origine projects onto the destination origine , the x axis along the destination x axis etc. The last 4th node is for 3D mapping, if I remember right. Test it out on a simple cubic geometry a couple of times, it's not that trivial, how to select correctly the points -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/13 12:48 GMT-4
Thank you so much, Ivar.

I've tried it and it works... I wasn't able to see the solution, although it was a simple order vertexes issue.

Thanks again for your answer.
Thank you so much, Ivar. I've tried it and it works... I wasn't able to see the solution, although it was a simple order vertexes issue. Thanks again for your answer.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.