Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

wave aluminum plate 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

After check some people saying to be possible to simulate waves on a plate using COMSOL
I tried it and using more than one physics module and
the better I got was simulation of waves using the "waeq" module that have a "u" as a dependent variable
but doesn't inform in which direction x,y or z is this displacement.

Sounds like this software is not reliable for this application.

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe not...

Any body knows anything about the theme?

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 2012/06/24 2:41 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/23 6:00 GMT-4
Hi

I beleive you can simulate waves in solid or plates, but you must also define which type of waves: bending or flexing waves, or pression waves (i.e. sound waves) for me the acoustic module is probably the best suited, a least for pressure waves, unfortunately that is one of the module I have not managed yet to be accepte on my budget ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive you can simulate waves in solid or plates, but you must also define which type of waves: bending or flexing waves, or pression waves (i.e. sound waves) for me the acoustic module is probably the best suited, a least for pressure waves, unfortunately that is one of the module I have not managed yet to be accepte on my budget ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/23 6:09 GMT-4
yah you are right
I want to use bending waves
what you think I must to do in comsol? I already tried all modules, but maybe I'm missing something...
yah you are right I want to use bending waves what you think I must to do in comsol? I already tried all modules, but maybe I'm missing something...

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/23 10:04 GMT-4
Hi

Have you checked what you get with "shell or plate elements as they are called now" in 2D.

If you constrain it and run an eigenfrequency analysis, you get the eigenmodes, and if you run a frequency domain sweep you will get the response to typically steady sate oscillating force load

But how do you excite your waves ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you checked what you get with "shell or plate elements as they are called now" in 2D. If you constrain it and run an eigenfrequency analysis, you get the eigenmodes, and if you run a frequency domain sweep you will get the response to typically steady sate oscillating force load But how do you excite your waves ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/24 2:21 GMT-4
I didn't find the shell elements, where I can see it? (be explicit informing about that, like the exact location, so that I don't waste too many time, would apreciate very much) - note that I'm using version 4.2a

more: that's what I wanted to know, how can I excite the waves.. for all this time I've been looking for it, and always had a dubious response, or a response with a question, and I'm still in the same...concluding that COMSOL doesn't have that capacity, or otherwise I'm missing something...

I didn't find the shell elements, where I can see it? (be explicit informing about that, like the exact location, so that I don't waste too many time, would apreciate very much) - note that I'm using version 4.2a more: that's what I wanted to know, how can I excite the waves.. for all this time I've been looking for it, and always had a dubious response, or a response with a question, and I'm still in the same...concluding that COMSOL doesn't have that capacity, or otherwise I'm missing something...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/24 2:41 GMT-4
Hi

In fact the shell Element physics is now called Structural "Plate" physics, I'm probably still stuck with the old 3.5 naming ;)

Well how do you excite a wave ?, if its via a pressure wave from the air hitting your plate, obviously you are in acoustic mode and you'll find the best tools there, but if you use a local excitation in a small region of a boundary, via a prescribed displacement or a force input you can run a time or frequency domain analysis (or combination) to excite your wave.

It all depends which case you want to model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In fact the shell Element physics is now called Structural "Plate" physics, I'm probably still stuck with the old 3.5 naming ;) Well how do you excite a wave ?, if its via a pressure wave from the air hitting your plate, obviously you are in acoustic mode and you'll find the best tools there, but if you use a local excitation in a small region of a boundary, via a prescribed displacement or a force input you can run a time or frequency domain analysis (or combination) to excite your wave. It all depends which case you want to model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.