Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence issues in a non-isothermal flow problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have encountered a problem while trying to solve a non-isothermal flow problem. The model features a repetitive unit cell of a dynamic insulating wall element. The intention is to simulate its performance. There is no problem when the flow rate is set to a relatively high level (for instance 1.0 m/s), but so far I cannot get it to converge to an acceptable error level at the desired flow rate (order of 0.01 m/s).

I am quite the beginner using comsol, so it may just be a very simple issue. Is there anyone who can help me?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: I did just find out that when the volume force working on the free flowing air is neglected, so the volume force only works on the closed pocket, it does converge without any problems. However, this assumption cannot always be justified...

1 Reply Last Post 2012/07/09 15:54 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/07/09 15:54 GMT-4
Hi,

Add "Pressure Point Constraint" inside closed pocket (lower point on symmetry axis) and use fine mesh. After this convergence is working.

Best regards

Tero
Hi, Add "Pressure Point Constraint" inside closed pocket (lower point on symmetry axis) and use fine mesh. After this convergence is working. Best regards Tero

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.