Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

using comsol multphysics to add structural mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i'd like to add the Stress and strain tensor equations and others into the comsol multiphysics plane strain (this is hopes of including gauss's law -which i can already do- to make the piezoelectric constitutive relations).

however, i'm having issues with the notation. does anyone know how to do this?

2 Replies Last Post 2012/10/24 17:42 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/24 17:41 GMT-4
I got it to work.

=sE(1,1)[1/Pa]*sXm_ps+sE(1,2)[1/Pa]*sYm_ps+sE(1,4)[1/Pa]*sXmYm_ps+0[C/N]*Ex_es+0[C/N]*Ey_es

However, my new issue now is that I can't equate this to eXm_ps (the strain term) since eXm_ps is used somewhere else.

is there any way around this?
I got it to work. =sE(1,1)[1/Pa]*sXm_ps+sE(1,2)[1/Pa]*sYm_ps+sE(1,4)[1/Pa]*sXmYm_ps+0[C/N]*Ex_es+0[C/N]*Ey_es However, my new issue now is that I can't equate this to eXm_ps (the strain term) since eXm_ps is used somewhere else. is there any way around this?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/24 17:42 GMT-4
I got it to work.

=sE(1,1)[1/Pa]*sXm_ps+sE(1,2)[1/Pa]*sYm_ps+sE(1,4)[1/Pa]*sXmYm_ps+0[C/N]*Ex_es+0[C/N]*Ey_es

However, my new issue now is that I can't equate this to eXm_ps (the strain term) since eXm_ps is used somewhere else.

is there any way around this?

I get the "duplicate variable name"

it says the variable is defined in the boundary.

These constitutive relations are defined in the subdomain.
I got it to work. =sE(1,1)[1/Pa]*sXm_ps+sE(1,2)[1/Pa]*sYm_ps+sE(1,4)[1/Pa]*sXmYm_ps+0[C/N]*Ex_es+0[C/N]*Ey_es However, my new issue now is that I can't equate this to eXm_ps (the strain term) since eXm_ps is used somewhere else. is there any way around this? I get the "duplicate variable name" it says the variable is defined in the boundary. These constitutive relations are defined in the subdomain.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.